• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

As this is my fifth trip to TB and the third trip on the DD if I need tips then shame on me! Of course it would be nice to have Ellis aboard to critique my shots and give me someone to harass.

I'm counting on good weather, clear water, and a lucky chance of getting a hammerhead shot.

Glad you enjoyed your trip and thanks for the report.

Yea, good luck. Its a shame Mike Ellis isnt on there this week as he would have been able to give you some photography tips.

Have fun

Stew

Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#22 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

Yer - nasty rash. Very funny when someone else is the target though....

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#23 Jackiebalboa

Jackiebalboa

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:53 AM

Thank you very much for this report !!! Seems to be amazing !!
I will take note of your report to learn more about underwater photos.
I cant wait to make one, But I need more tips !!!

Jack

#24 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:23 AM

Finally had time to read it! Superb Stew, and Paul, glad you had a good time, wish I'd have gone on that one as I, too, never experienced any dolphins, cant wait for that to happen one day- Great photos :rolleyes:
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#25 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

Finally had time to read it! Superb Stew, and Paul, glad you had a good time, wish I'd have gone on that one as I, too, never experienced any dolphins, cant wait for that to happen one day- Great photos :)

Yea it was certainly a great trip. Never thought I would see a whale shark in the Atlantic. You were spot on Paul with your summing up of the way the diving is very relaxed and the boat is a great size for accommodating several serious UW rigs. Plenty of room for everyone to have their laptops out at the same time. I will be chartering it again one day that is a sure thing. The 10 day itinerary is a must. have fun in the Maldives.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#26 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

I had one attached to me in the Maldives for a 60 minute dive. You can imagine what part of my anatomy it decided to suck onto. Louise was totally freaked and abandoned her dive. The remora only decided to let go as I got onto the top step of the Dohni after 60 minutes.

Sterw

You paid extra for that though.......
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#27 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

Yea it was certainly a great trip. Never thought I would see a whale shark in the Atlantic. You were spot on Paul with your summing up of the way the diving is very relaxed and the boat is a great size for accommodating several serious UW rigs. Plenty of room for everyone to have their laptops out at the same time. I will be chartering it again one day that is a sure thing. The 10 day itinerary is a must. have fun in the Maldives.

Stew

Cheers Stew,
Whaleshark!? I missed that one!!?? Put my name down as long as its got plenty of dolphins too, theyre still on my list to do! Hope to see you in May
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#28 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

You paid extra for that though.......

No that was in Thailand Dunc.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

#29 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

Cheers Stew,
Whaleshark!? I missed that one!!?? Put my name down as long as its got plenty of dolphins too, theyre still on my list to do! Hope to see you in May

Sadly we wasn't in the water at the time. We were on the main deck chatting with the crew when the Skipper shouted in mid conversation " what the fcuk is that " it was heading right towards the boat then veered off. It wasnt a small one either. That was the fourth time the Skipper had seen one in all the years he has been there. Same thing happened with a Great Hammerhead, although one guy did have the pleasure of a pass by one at Tiger Beach. The Bull Shark sighting was on a night dive and went to investigate one of my mates. He got out of the water about 30 seconds later.

Stew

#30 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:07 PM

Great trip report Stew. We're out on DD next month on a Dolphin trip so it was good to hear that you highly rated the boat and the crew and by the sound of it the boat is actually quite a bit better than I was expecting it was going to be. My pre-trip anticipation is certainly building up to fever pitch now! :)

Cheers, Simon

#31 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:27 AM

Great trip report Stew. We're out on DD next month on a Dolphin trip so it was good to hear that you highly rated the boat and the crew and by the sound of it the boat is actually quite a bit better than I was expecting it was going to be. My pre-trip anticipation is certainly building up to fever pitch now! :)

Cheers, Simon

Hi Simon,

There were a couple of things that could be done to improve the boat for sure, but the boat in general is roomy, well air conditioned and has a crew that have one thing on their mind, and that is to make sure that you have as great an experience as possible. The crew are very open minded and were very accommodating. You will not be pampered like some of the top end liveaboards around the world, but like I have said the money reflects this. To be totally honest, I dont really want any pampering when I am away. There are 2 different places for the dolphins, one in the north and one in the south. We were fortunate to have 2 big pods join up with us. I kinda got the feeling that these dolphins actually recognise the engines of the Dolphin Dream and you can see them coming in, in 2's and 3's from all different directions. Once they had formed a good sized pod we would get in and swim with them. I said to Louise that I would like to go back in a year or so and do another 10 day charter. I was so pi$$ed off that I was full of man flu and couldnt get in with them at night. I can only imagine what kind of images Paul Carre has. The conditions were spot on and with about 30 dolphins hunting feeding and playing.

I hope your trip is as fruitful as mine.

All the best bud.

Stew

#32 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

I really was expecting just an old shrimping boat. I've been on so many old trawlers over the years that I didn't dare to get my hopes up. Not that I'm bothered, but its nice to have at least a little comfort when I'm traveling with Zoe. Last time I took her on a 'basic on board' it took a lot of retail therapy after the trip for her to get over the trauma and I don't think I can afford that again right now! :)

Arrgghh Man Flu! Dam it takes the best of us :(

Cheers, Simon

#33 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:04 PM

Great shots, I love the night dolphins!
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#34 altsaint

altsaint

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

One point to note about the dolphins - you have to decide if you want to interact with them, or photograph them. If everyone wants to photograph, then they get kinda bored after a while and go off. They like having snorkellers under the water keeping up with them and mimicking their movements.

The night shooting is less of an issue, as the lights from the boat attract squid, which in turn attract dolphin, and so they are there for food rather than fun.

I believe on Stew's trip that crew member Connor kept them entertained with an underwater scooter. Plus there were a couple of stowaways on board, and one of them wasn't that brilliant at taking photos so he ended up playing with the Dolphins most of the time.

That's what I heard, anyway.

#35 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

I just didnt realise that we had our own dolphin on board Mark. Hope all is well with you both.

Stew

#36 altsaint

altsaint

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:44 AM

We're both good thanks Stew, although it's been a tough call going into the office after a trip like this one. Laura Storm took quite a nice group photo of me and 3 of my friends:

Posted Image

#37 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thats a corker of a shot. Good that she got you smiling as well Mark.

All the best

Stew