• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 casbba

casbba

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:54 PM

I've recently modified an Ikelite D70 housing to take a D7000. The baseplate in the D70 housing had to be raised a little for the D7000 lens mount to be concentric with the Ike port hole and the D7000 needed to be positioned slightly forward from where the D70 sat, but other that the fit seems pretty good. A few simple mods to some of the controls allows on/off, shutter, zoom, speed, aperture, mode, AE-L/AF-L, metering and exposure compensation. I've left the two iTTL buttons on the back of the housing but removed the menu, multi-selector, playback and delete buttons as they no longer align. I just filled the holes with araldite, which impinges on the D7000 monitor slightly but only at the edges. The push buttons could be aligned and re-fitted if considered absolutely necessary. There's no live view or video available but I'm sure these could also be added with a little ingenuity, as could controls for some of the other functions. I've used it on a few dives now and it works just fine.

#2 Panda

Panda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Split levels, timelapse, temperate critters.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

Well done. I looked at fitting mine into a D80 housing but couldn't even close the back door. D70 housing must be deeper.
Great diving in Bicheno diving by the way, and those noisy penguins at night.

anewton.net - UW blog - KAP blog
Victoria Australia. Nikon D7000, Lumix LX3. Ikelite. Inon. GoPro 2

#3 casbba

casbba

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

The D70 and D7000 housings look almost identical in size to me, just different placement/configuration of controls. Must be a few old D70 housings out there looking for a new lease on life I'd reckon.