2 replies to this topic

#1 heysalvo

heysalvo

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

Hi All,

I'm going on a 6-week trip to Africa and will be diving in three locations in Southern Africa, mainly Mozambique and South Africa. I need a lightweight and manageable set up for traveling, and want to make sure I can have expensive gear on my body when needed. But there's no way I can use a cross-body messenger type bag to carry my dry camera gear (Canon 5d, 3 lenses, extender, hotshot mic, tripod, netbook) and my u/w gear (Ikelite with wide angle dome port, 1-2 strobes w/arms, underwater dive light, flashlight, 2 regulators). This means I'll need to roll a carry on with my u/w gear and have a messenger for my dry gear. I was thinking of using a Tenba Messenger, a Pelican Studio Cruiser rollling hardcase for the u/w carry on stuff, and then a rolling dive duffel for my clothes, wetsuit, BC, fins, mask, etc. The Seasoft Dry Roller looks good, but I can't find a review.

So, does anyone have experience with some good lightweight, durable, multifunctional luggage? I'll need to take the dive bag on small boats that won't have room for both a pelican and divebag, but I'll need all my camera gear with me for topside and u/w shooting.

Also, I want to be sure the check-in bag has the ability to stand upright on its own and is waterproof and has a carry strap for over shoulder or backpack functionality.

ANY INPUT? Oh, I know this is mindnumbing minutia, but it would be so helpful to have some input.

Thanks!!

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3066 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:14 AM

Hi partner,
Checkout this thread for starters. We love to talk about bags. http://wetpixel.com/...t...&hl=baggage

I use a Stahlsac for the dive gear, stand up, rolls, and collapses on the boat. (not truly waterproof) and combination of Thinktank gear for the rig, cameras, etc. I really like the Urban Disguise 50 bag. I can carry my bodies, lenses, 15" laptop and all of the little stuff in it. It passes as a personal carry-on bag. Works well to shoot out of when your doing the tourist thing too.

Depending on the airline and the severity of the weight restrictions you may want to go with a roll-on or backpack for the rig. I like the International V2. Lowepro makes some similar equipment that has gotten good reviews here.

Good luck,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

Also be aware that if you are flying through Jo burg they will weigh your carry on as a matter of course in my opinion.

I usual carry a Lowepro photo vest into which I can load all my camera and lens in these eventualities. This means that I can usually get my carry on below the required weight.

Good luck
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving