2 replies to this topic

#1 heysalvo

heysalvo

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

Hi All,

I'm going on a 6-week trip to Africa and will be diving in three locations in Southern Africa, mainly Mozambique and South Africa. I need a lightweight and manageable set up for traveling, and want to make sure I can have expensive gear on my body when needed. But there's no way I can use a cross-body messenger type bag to carry my dry camera gear (Canon 5d, 3 lenses, extender, hotshot mic, tripod, netbook) and my u/w gear (Ikelite with wide angle dome port, 1-2 strobes w/arms, underwater dive light, flashlight, 2 regulators). This means I'll need to roll a carry on with my u/w gear and have a messenger for my dry gear. I was thinking of using a Tenba Messenger, a Pelican Studio Cruiser rollling hardcase for the u/w carry on stuff, and then a rolling dive duffel for my clothes, wetsuit, BC, fins, mask, etc. The Seasoft Dry Roller looks good, but I can't find a review.

So, does anyone have experience with some good lightweight, durable, multifunctional luggage? I'll need to take the dive bag on small boats that won't have room for both a pelican and divebag, but I'll need all my camera gear with me for topside and u/w shooting.

Also, I want to be sure the check-in bag has the ability to stand upright on its own and is waterproof and has a carry strap for over shoulder or backpack functionality.

ANY INPUT? Oh, I know this is mindnumbing minutia, but it would be so helpful to have some input.

Thanks!!

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3044 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:14 AM

Hi partner,
Checkout this thread for starters. We love to talk about bags. http://wetpixel.com/...t...&hl=baggage

I use a Stahlsac for the dive gear, stand up, rolls, and collapses on the boat. (not truly waterproof) and combination of Thinktank gear for the rig, cameras, etc. I really like the Urban Disguise 50 bag. I can carry my bodies, lenses, 15" laptop and all of the little stuff in it. It passes as a personal carry-on bag. Works well to shoot out of when your doing the tourist thing too.

Depending on the airline and the severity of the weight restrictions you may want to go with a roll-on or backpack for the rig. I like the International V2. Lowepro makes some similar equipment that has gotten good reviews here.

Good luck,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

Also be aware that if you are flying through Jo burg they will weigh your carry on as a matter of course in my opinion.

I usual carry a Lowepro photo vest into which I can load all my camera and lens in these eventualities. This means that I can usually get my carry on below the required weight.

Good luck
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving