Photo
- - - - -

Indonesia: Halmahera - Northern Exposure....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Don Silcock

Don Silcock

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:41 AM

I recently had an article published in X-Ray on the Halmahera region of Indonesia - just about as far north as you can go and one of the the least explored areas of the vast archipelago that is Indonesia.

The trip was on the SMY Ondina and organised through Deb Fugitt & City Seahorse and was quite an experience.

You can download the article from my site on this LINK.

There is also an image gallery from the trip on this LINK.

Don

Halmahera_X_Ray.jpg

Edited by Don Silcock, 07 April 2011 - 07:48 AM.

Don Silcock
Underwater Site: www.indopacificimages.com/
Travel Site: www.nomadicpixel.com/

#2 Rothi

Rothi

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:10 PM

Nice one, Don.

IŽll be in Central Halmahera in November and when i see your pics, i think it will be fun!

Cheers

Markus
Canon 1 D Mark II N, Canon 100mm, Canon 15 mm, Tokina 10-17 FE Zoom, UK-Germany 1 D Mark II and Housing, UK-Germany 45° View Finder, 2 X Subtronic Maxi, 2 x Subtronic Mini,

Visit My Website

#3 debf

debf

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:diving, video, photography, traveling, sorbet & Miniature Schnauzers

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

I recently had an article published in X-Ray on the Halmahera region of Indonesia - just about as far north as you can go and one of the the least explored areas of the vast archipelago that is Indonesia.

The trip was on the SMY Ondina and organised through Deb Fugitt & City Seahorse and was quite an experience.

Don

Don, Brings back great memories!

I thought I recognized the divers in the article, but wasn't sure it was from my trip... although would have been quite a coincidence to have those same dive guides together on any other trip.

Halmahera is tricky for sure and I've heard a lot of people complain they didn't have good diving there. I insisted that Ricardo join us on our my charter for this route and I'm really glad I did! Made all the difference! That and the great group of divers we had aboard for that particular trip.

Inspiring article.. beautiful photos!

DebF

Edited by debf, 08 April 2011 - 01:59 PM.

#4 Don Silcock

Don Silcock

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:41 AM

Nice one, Don.

IŽll be in Central Halmahera in November and when i see your pics, i think it will be fun!

Cheers

Markus

Hi Markus, sorry for the slow reply - traveling in India right now....

I am sure it will be fun! Where are you going to in Halmahera?

Don
Don Silcock

#5 Rothi

Rothi

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:53 AM

Hi Markus, sorry for the slow reply - traveling in India right now....

I am sure it will be fun! Where are you going to in Halmahera?

Don

IŽm going to Weda Bay! It is the new Resort of Rob Sinke (Divers Lodge Lembeh).

Hope you have fun in India! ;-)

Cheers

Markus
Canon 1 D Mark II N, Canon 100mm, Canon 15 mm, Tokina 10-17 FE Zoom, UK-Germany 1 D Mark II and Housing, UK-Germany 45° View Finder, 2 X Subtronic Maxi, 2 x Subtronic Mini,

Visit My Website

#6 gracer

gracer

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:29 AM

Don - a great article and beautiful images. We did a similar trip in the opposite direction in 2009 and I thought it was one of the best trips I've done. For anyone thinking of visiting the area I can highly recommend it. You can find some video of teh dives we did here:

Best of Raja Ampat & Halmahera

Richard

#7 Don Silcock

Don Silcock

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:15 AM

Don - a great article and beautiful images. We did a similar trip in the opposite direction in 2009 and I thought it was one of the best trips I've done. For anyone thinking of visiting the area I can highly recommend it. You can find some video of teh dives we did here:

Best of Raja Ampat & Halmahera

Richard

Hi Richard, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, Halmahera is quite a location if a bit remote... I am looking forward to hearing what Markus (Rothi) has to say about Weda Bay after his trip there.

Don
Don Silcock