• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ileiman

ileiman

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:48 AM

Here is a link to small selection of photos I shot with the Canon 7D on a two week liveaboard trip on MSY Seahorse, March 2011. The route we took was from Ambon to Sorong: Nusa Laut, Banda Islands, Pulau Koon, Misool, Waigeo, Dampier Strait. A total of 38 dives.
We saw practically everything from Pygmy Seahorses to Manta Rays, and soft corals of every possible color and form.

Posted Image

The 7D was in Ikelite housing, I had two Ikelite DS161 strobes with 12+12 inch Stix buoyancy arms, and the following set of lenses:
The majority of dives I ended up using my new Sigma 17-70 mm lens due to its versatility. At 17mm it is a quite a decent wide-angle, even for shooting Mantas - and at 70mm you can do some sort of macro, even pygmy seahorses are doable. With this lens I had the Ikelite 8" dome, which gives a very good image quality but is of course huge. Before this trip I shot only with the Tokina fisheye, but now I found that to be almost too wide angle and suitable only for special occasions. With the 60mm lens I didn't like at all to be forced to shoot only macro for an entire dive, when there was always the possibility to see almost anything.

Most of the time I shot with Manual exposure at ISO 100.
Canon 7d, Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, Canon EF-S 60mm Macro, Sigma 10-17mm OS HSM, Ikelite housing,
2x Ikelite ds-161 strobes with Stix 12"+12" arms with floats.
Canon ixus 980is in Canon housing.
Olympus c8080wz in Olympus housing.
website www.leiman.fi.

#2 Jackiebalboa

Jackiebalboa

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:52 AM

The Ray passed really next to you ! It is an amazing shoot !! Congratulations :)

#3 Blackshaw

Blackshaw

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

Good series of pix.
Looks like your strobes may have been alittle hot though on some of these.

thanks for sharing
-ed