11 replies to this topic

#1 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:06 PM

Is this real!!!!!!
An uncompressed 10bit video recorder from Black Magic for $345 http://www.blackmagi...perdeckshuttle/
Is this going to make the nano flash obsolete. The size is a little larger than the nano flash but not much. What are the chances of one of the housing manufactures making a stand alone housing for it.

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

Is this real!!!!!!
An uncompressed 10bit video recorder from Black Magic for $345 http://www.blackmagi...perdeckshuttle/
Is this going to make the nano flash obsolete. The size is a little larger than the nano flash but not much. What are the chances of one of the housing manufactures making a stand alone housing for it.

Very cool. Things like this and the Atmos units are nice additions to video....

#3 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1388 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

Wow I'm glad I passed on the Ninja now as this little beauty has both HDMI and HDSDI, while the Ninja only had HDMI and is twice the price. I'll be ordering one as soon as they ship. At $345 that's a steal!

Cheers, Simon

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

I was looking around and could no find the size specs or battery life..did you guys find that?

#5 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

I was looking around and could no find the size specs or battery life..did you guys find that?

I saw it at NAB today.... they were not saying much in the way of specs, i.e. "final specifications have not been released".

Cp

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#6 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:36 AM

I saw it at NAB today.... they were not saying much in the way of specs, i.e. "final specifications have not been released".

I see two problems with this recorder. 1. It isn't finalized yet, so who knows when we will able to buy it. 2. Uncompressed 10bit recording only. That means around 800 GB per hour. Not ideal if you don't need uncompressed footage.
>>> Submerge Productions dedicated to technical diving

#7 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1388 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:41 AM

I see two problems with this recorder. 1. It isn't finalized yet, so who knows when we will able to buy it. 2. Uncompressed 10bit recording only. That means around 800 GB per hour. Not ideal if you don't need uncompressed footage.

800GB/hr would be way too much for a portable recorder, I'll have to re-read the info, but they must have some other method of reducing the file size? Hmmm perhaps it is too good to be true after all.

Btw website says shipping in May and it's NOT Red so maybe that will actually happen :)

Cheers, Simon

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:38 AM

It is important to note that this needs a clean, non-overlayed HDMI feed, which is NOT what you get from current cameras like 5d Mk II and 7D. Should be great with GH2 and camcorders, though.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#9 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:38 AM

Btw website says shipping in May and it's NOT Red so maybe that will actually happen :(

:)

#10 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:03 AM

As mentioned, uncompressed 10bit is WAY too BIG for most applications. FX work, yes, field work NO. 100mb 422 hits the mark for all major broadcasters. Even that is 2.5x bigger files than most DSLR formats. Also, i suspect with internal battery only, increasing battery life will not be possible. This is a huge issue for field shooters and especially underwater shooters who spend the day out on the water. Lastly, I am not sure if it has TC initiated recording vs manual start/stop as shown on the site. Without TC initiated recording, you have real problems using with an existing housing. NANO has done a lot of work to address these issues and have a solution that actually works. This new solution looks quite sexy but I suspect has a ways to go to support our kind of work. We will know more when the units start shipping though.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#11 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

Looks pretty cool,

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#12 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

Just sent an email to them to have them send me one. Looks good to me and HD space is cheap. Whether it really would fit in a housing or not or whether there would be heat issues is another thing.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.