• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ajay

ajay

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

We did Derawan a few years ago and it was great. Now we want to return, and I hear
some things about Maratua Paradise resort that appear attractive. I wonder if someone
with experience can comment:
(a) Is the resident thresher shark around during summer ?
(b) How good is the macro in the sites close to this resort ? I am expecting couple of
big-life dives in the mornings, and, I hope, good reefs for evenings and night.

Any other info from recent experiences with this resort will be appreciated!

Thanks !
Ajay.

#2 SandyS

SandyS

Starfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

We did Derawan a few years ago and it was great. Now we want to return, and I hear
some things about Maratua Paradise resort that appear attractive. I wonder if someone
with experience can comment:
(a) Is the resident thresher shark around during summer ?
(b) How good is the macro in the sites close to this resort ? I am expecting couple of
big-life dives in the mornings, and, I hope, good reefs for evenings and night.

Any other info from recent experiences with this resort will be appreciated!

Thanks !
Ajay.

Hi Ajay,

I leave for Maratua in about two weeks from now to shoot promotionals for the company that is doing the U S marketing for them. So, I had them ask Maratua your questions. Here's what they told me.

"Based on passed record, the tresher sharks are sighted all year round but the time and depth may varied. Good thing is the dive site for the tresher sharks is just right in front of the dive resort (max 2-3 minute) so you don’t have to travel far."

and

"The macro dive around the resort is abundant, our house reef dive of the jetty is unlimited so you may explore to find many juvenile creatures and fishes which are attracted by the lights from resort. The house reef dive site is mainly sandy bottom and hard coral reef, you may find mandarin fish, harlequin shrimp, seahorse, nudi branch, sea moth, octopus, cuttle fish, gobys, eels, school of jacks, school of rabbit fish, file fish, scorpion fishes, stones fishes, rays , turtle and many more.

There is an article on the diving in Maratua published by EZ Dive magazine last July. It will give you a better picture of the overview of the diving experience in Maratua, where there is a very good combination of pelagic and macro diving."

Hope this helps. I will do a follow up as soon as I get back.

sandy

Edited by SandyS, 21 April 2011 - 01:17 PM.

#3 ajay

ajay

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:02 AM

I leave for Maratua in about two weeks from now ... {snip}

... There is an article on the diving in Maratua published by EZ Dive magazine last July. ... {snip}
Hope this helps. I will do a follow up as soon as I get back.

sandy

Thanks Sandy,

It is starting to look attractive; I do hope you have a great trip, and look forward to your post-trip comments.
By the way, if you are interested in my trip comments/photos from our previous stay in Derawan,
it's here: Derawan, August 2006.

Well, good luck getting some great Manta shots on your trip -- maybe even one that beats the entry-page photo on
your website (nice site)!

Best,
Ajay.