• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:46 PM

I have just aquired a new laptop and i know want to use it to do all my photo editing. How do i transfer all my LR3 folders without having to reimport them all? can i put them on a HDD and then plug it in to the new laptop and setup from there and all my adjustments will still show when i launch light room.

thanks in advance for all the help..

cheers.
Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1766 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

Hi,

The simplest way is to use the "export as catalog function" in the file menu of the library module.

Set it up to export negatives as well, and to export to an external hard drive. Hit go!

Move the hard drive to your new machine, and move the catalog file complete onto you new machine. Point Lightroom at the .LRcat in the exported catalog folder file and you are done!

Hope that helps.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:12 PM

Yes, basically.

Copy the entire lightroom catalogue, including all of your previews onto the new machine (I keep mine in a folder called "Lightroom_Library"). Obviously also copy over all of your photos.

You may well have to tell LR where to find the photos (easy)
You might also have to copy over all of your presets, depending on where you keep them. I keep mine with the catalogue.
Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110