Shark Feeding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:50 PM

Hi
Here is a little edit of the shark feeding trip I did out on Taka Dive over here in Cairns - Queensland.
Shot it with my FX1 in the Amphibico Phenom.
Have had the housing since 2005 and have never serviced the control orings but it still works a treat. :)
Cut the raw clips up on my little i5 laptop with EDIUS.
No colour was added, its as shot just sped up.

As much as cameras are all going tape less, its so easy to just chuck another tape in and have an instant archive.
My Canon MOV video files are building up and its a pain to make back ups all the time onto an unsafe long time storage medium like a hard drive.

Should be back out there soon for more action.
Anyhow hope you like my little clip :-)

Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#2 rjpcordeiro

rjpcordeiro

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:07 AM

Where's the dislike button? Shark feeders = morons.

#3 Captain_Caveman

Captain_Caveman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:44 AM

Where's the dislike button? Shark feeders = morons.

Bit harsh, but I follow and totally agree with the sentiment.

In my humble opinion, I think you lost a lot of the effect of the speeded up film by having it constantly at that speed. It was just a bit of a blur in the end. Shame as there looks to be some good footage in there.

And the size of that Nassau!! OMG!

I use...

Canon 5d2
Aquatica Housing
8" Dome
Sigma 15mm
Sola lights

~ Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L - Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8 L - Canon 50 f/1.8 ~

~ Canon 350D - Canon G9 - Canon 430 EX ~

#4 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

Looks like a nice spot Wags ... They should probably name it 'ruined coral sea' after all those divers have mauled it.

Controversial issue with the feed... I went on one in Yap back in 2002 and it was awesome although now I'd think twice.

Dive safe

DeanB

P.s I must admit I re-started it 2 times before I realised the speed was intentional :)
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#5 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

I thought I would get some flak for posting such a clip. :)

Shark feeding can been seen as an un natural thing but these guys have been doing it for over 20 years and there are many places in the world where the marine life has been fed, Sting Ray City in the Grand Cayman, wild dolphins over here at Denham - Monkey Mia and then there are the Great White Trips folks go on.
Whether it's right or not is debatable but at the end of the day the animals are wild and are not harmed and can come and go at will.

Siting on the coral, well its mainly just a limestone wall at that depth there, the operators have been doing it for decades so minimal damage is done. I have seem much more damage done by a single boat anchor by fishermen and even dive operators and its nothing compared to what cyclone Yasi did to the reef earlier this year.

Why did I cut it up like that, well the footage will be used for other projects and I wanted to do something different for a laugh.
Cheers...
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#6 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

I thought I would get some flak for posting such a clip. :)

Shark feeding can been seen as an un natural thing but these guys have been doing it for over 20 years and there are many places in the world where the marine life has been feed, Sting Ray City in the Grand Cayman, wild dolphins over here at Denham - Monkey Mia and then there are the Great White Trips folks go on.
Whether it's right or not is debatable but at the end of the day the animals are wild and are not harmed and can come and go at will.

Siting on the coral, well its mainly just a limestone wall at that depth there, the operators have been doing it for decades so minimal damage is done. I have seem much more damage done by a single boat anchor by fishermen and even dive operators and its nothing compared to what cyclone Yasi did to the reef earlier this year.

Why did I cut it up like that, well the footage will be used for other projects and I wanted to do something different for a laugh.
Cheers...

Thanks for that clip; I like it. The shark feeding issue has been debated ad nauseum on this site and elsewhere, but I think there is another real educational value in shark feeding, that's not mentioned much; and that is to improve the comfort of divers in the water with sharks and to improve the reputation of sharks and negate the perception that they are man eaters.
I experienced this myself years ago when I first experienced a shark feeding and it has benefited other members of my family tremendously when they learned to dive.
If there is one thing that is so apparent to anyone who attends a sharkfeeding is that sharks have no interest in man as prey. It's one thing to be told this by others, but it's a hugely reinforcing experience to see it for oneself. I remember my first sharkfeeding in the Bahamas as Carribean Reef Sharks swarmed over my head towards the feeder, even bumping me, swimming around me etc. My initial anxiety was very quickly replaced by awe and greatly increased comfort level as it became obvious that they had no interest in me, only the bait.

Edited by loftus, 27 April 2011 - 10:32 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.