Photo
- - - - -

Planning trip to Kosrae and Cocos... where else?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Will_Clark

Will_Clark

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

I am planning a trip which will include a stay on Kosrae and then over to Costa Rica for a liveaboard around Cocos island. A strange itinerary I know, but I won the stay on Kosrae in a competition and since I'm from England I might as well make the most of being on that side of the planet.

Where else might I want to squeeze in while I'm there? My flight plan may take me to Honolulu so I'm considering the black water diving off Kona. I may fly via Japan on a round-the-world ticket so there really are a lot of possibilities.

I would appreciate any ideas. Cheeeeers.

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

If you do the Kona Black Water dive, you might try and squeeze in the Kona night manta dive as well. I believe there is one operator that does both in one night based on web searches. If you had time, you could split them between different nights. I do not like changing lenses/ports/domes on boats that size and the 2 dives seem to need different lenses. Different operators do them different nights so you might have to use 2 different companies to get them on back to back nights if you are squeezed on timing. I plan to do them both later this month. Sounds like you have a great trip planned!
You thinking of other islands in Micronesia as well? Seems you would be just a puddle jump from Palau and Yap.

Seems I have read there is some good diving at Guam and you will likely be changing planes there to get to Hawaii, I believe. Not certain if it fits your plans or interest but you might look into it since you will already be stopping there.
Just some thoughts to consider.
dave

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

I am planning a trip which will include a stay on Kosrae and then over to Costa Rica for a liveaboard around Cocos island. A strange itinerary I know, but I won the stay on Kosrae in a competition and since I'm from England I might as well make the most of being on that side of the planet.

Where else might I want to squeeze in while I'm there? My flight plan may take me to Honolulu so I'm considering the black water diving off Kona. I may fly via Japan on a round-the-world ticket so there really are a lot of possibilities.

What month are you going, and which cities will you be travelling through? There's a lot of stuff to see in the South Pacific, and that might help narrow it down. It already sounds like it's going to be a great trip!

-Gina

#4 paquito

paquito

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

If you make the Kosrae mail-route hop you hopefulyl likely know that the flights are no everyday of the week? Also, the hopper makes multiple connections on the way from Guam to Honolulu. But if you have the time and the dime...

#5 eudon

eudon

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

That is a strange itinerary! Wonderful diving all around, but logistically a nightmare. I think that there is a 12 hour time zone difference between Costa Rica and Micronesia, so i wouldnt consider them to be on the same side of the world. :( But a round the world ticket might work.

I would suggest however, that you consider checking out the more famous islands within Micronesia that others have suggested. Truk, Yap and especially Palau for the jelly fish lake. Thats pretty unique.

If you want to spend more time in that neck of the woods, then head over to Indonesia. Raja Ampat, Komodo, Lembeh and Bali - im sure they wont disapoint.

Eudon

#6 Will_Clark

Will_Clark

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

Thanks so much for your replies. All good stuff.

I knew these two destinations weren't very close to each other from looking at a world map, but when I looked on a globe I realised how they are very very far apart. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing a round-the-world through Japan. Lots of air-travel, but it'll be great.

The Palau idea might be a possible addition?

#7 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:16 PM

Palau is a wonderful place, well worth a couple of weeks... I went to Yap after Palau and found it quite disappointing.
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#8 Will_Clark

Will_Clark

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

Thanks again y'all.

FYI I am going to add a week in Puerto Galera on the way, and a 2 night stopover in Hawaii to break up the huge journey - no time for Kona unfortunately... next time :)

#9 Mclovin

Mclovin

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

Thanks again y'all.

FYI I am going to add a week in Puerto Galera on the way, and a 2 night stopover in Hawaii to break up the huge journey - no time for Kona unfortunately... next time :)

Palau is a great place! I worked there for a few months on a liveaboard and you can get a great variety of diving. Lots of sharks, fast current dives as well as some nice caves and wrecks. Also, loads of mantas at the right time of year. I am sure you will have fun in Puerto Galera also, good macro I hear? I was down in Malapascua in Philippines for a couple of months, if you make it down there they have some good macro dives along with the Thresher shark dives.

Very envious of your Cocos trip, plesase let us all know how it goes!

Cheers

#10 chavala

chavala

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

Kosrae, The PIs and Cocos. sounds like you'll have the best of everything!