• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HobieGuy

HobieGuy

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

Hi all you fellow D7000 users: I received my first D7000 when they came out in late October and a new AD7000 housing when they were released recently. I liked the camera/ housing so much, I sold my Canon 7D (big mistake) and bought a second D7000 body recently. A few weeks ago, I was using my first D7000 and noticed terrible spots on the lower right hand corner of the images. I inspected the sensor and saw quite a bit of contamination on it. I went back through my pictures and could see the spot developing right after I began using this body reaching the unusable state that it was in at that point. I really was confused as I have never had that problem before over many years of using my D70, D300, 7D and D300s, and this was just over a few months of use. I sent the camera in for cleaning, and started using my second D7000 body. Since I was of the opinion that I must have contaminated the sensor while changing lenses, I used only my 28-300. Well, after only using it for a week or two, I am seeing the same spots return on this second body and I have not even changed the lens. I noticed the spots because while I was shooting, a small image (like a tiny gnat) appeared in my viewfinder. I did take the lens off at that point and was able to blow the "gnat' off the mirror/ground glass, and while I was at it I checked the sensor and there they were. The spot were quite viewable in the images but seem to go away later in the day, leaving only a small artifact when views under magnification. I reviewed the sensor and I could no longer see the spots. At this point, I think the problem is condensation on the sensor (probably while in live view/video mode) with the condensation drying later on leaving spots. As this cycle continues, the spots get worse and worse until the sensor is covered. At first, I thought this may be due to my 28-300 lens, however the "spots" appear to predate the lens. Since the same thing is happening to both D7000 bodies and not my D300s, I firmly belive he design of the D7000 sensor (Sony) may have a problem! Nikon technical services was no help at all, rather insulting! Also, do Y'all clean your own sensors or send time off. I have seen the post on cleaning them, just wondering how many of you do clean your own? Anyone had problem cleaning their own sensor?

Thanks for your help,

Ray J

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

Does this happen in a housing only, topside, or both? If it's condensation in a housing have you tried adding silica gel in your housing. Maybe you are installing in a humid area and as the sensor heats up / cools down you have the problem.
Sounds pretty weird almost like the lens seal is not good or something as the condensation has to come from somewhere. From what you say it's not a dirty sensor so cleaning the sensor will not help.
But, cleaning a sensor is easy if you do it with the right tools and follow the correct procdure.
Have not seen this issue topside or underwaterr with my D7000 / Nauticam

Edited by loftus, 05 May 2011 - 08:36 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 HobieGuy

HobieGuy

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

Does this happen in a housing only, topside, or both. If it's condensation in a housing have you tried adding silica gel.
Sounds pretty weird almost like the lens seal is not good or something. From what you say it's not a dirty sensor so cleaning the sensor will not help.
But, cleaning a sensor is easy if you do it with the right tools and follow the correct procdure.

No, I have not used the camera in the housing yet, and you can see the spot on the sensor surface. Cleaning the sensor is the only way to restore the image quality!

Thanks,

Ray J

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

I would post on Nikon forums like Nikon rumours etc, and see if your problem is unique. If nothing else, if there are others with the same problem, it may get Nikon's attention. Take the camera to a dealer, show them.
Possible get a camera technician to check lens seal etc. Are you in a humid environment?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.