Focus light for 100mm macro

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 frisco

frisco

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, diving, golf, ski, sailing, single malt whisky & Havana cigars

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

Hi All !!!

I have just added to my kit a Canon EF 100mm F2.8 USM macro lens and I wonder if my cheap Fantasea nano mini focus light (which is more than enough for the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM lens) will be enough or I would be better off with brighter focus light such as the Sola 500 or the FIX LED 500DX.

Thank you very much in advance for your help and tips !!!

All the Best ..... Francesco
SENT FROM THE DESK OF:
====================
Francesco De Marchi
mobile: +39 393 9121727
e-mail: francesco.demarchi@fastwebnet.it
web: http://www.flickr.co...tos/friscodive/

Canon EOS-450D, Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM macro, Canon EF 100mm f/2,8 USM macro, Tokina AT-X 107 AF DX f/3.5-4.5, Inon 45 viewfinder, Canon 250D diopter, Hugyfot housing & ports, Inon Z240 & D2000 strobes, Lightroom 3.0 and MacBook Pro

#2 Kilili

Kilili

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

I have FIX LED 1000DX, technically a good light. However, mine flood after less than 20 dives, $100 to send to Japan to repair. That flooded after less than 10 dives, and needs replacement. I can hardly recommend. On the other hand, the Intova Supernova seems bulletproof, and have at least 100 dives on it. Paired with my 105 mm, good beam for macro.

Sola 500 series seems quite good, from reading literature, but I have never used.

Have used nano mini, but far too weak for me.
Ken
Kilili Studios
ken@kilili.com

Nikon D2x with Subal ND2, and all that other stuff

#3 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:59 AM

I use a Mini Q40 LED and it is good for my 100mm and 50mm....but then I dive mostly in Scotland where ambient is low. The light is soft with a good spread and there is never a hot spot. In blue water with lots of sun, it is no good unless working very close or on an evening/night dive or under an overhang. I have never been tempted to get something more powerful as I do not want to scare off my subject and plenty of them seem to be light averse.

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#4 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:13 AM

Another option in the middle price range is the Big Blue series. I have the 1x5 and have used it for about 30 dives and it worked quite well with an old Nikon 105 micro. It turns off for 1-2 sec when the strobes go off. Those on the night dives said I was easy to find. I had the brightest beam on the boat, by far. Big Blue has some brighter lights as well for more money and more battery weight. They are not as small or light as the Sola but my 1x5 was under $150. You might investigate the Big Blue lights online and see if that fits your needs.

I had the Nano but it flooded after a few dives. The problem with rotating the head for turning on/off, if you turn too far it floods.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#5 Bent C

Bent C

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

I use a Sola 600, which I am very happy with. I have used it on about 150 dives with no problems. Easy to charge, with a wide beam. I occassionaly use the red light on it, and it is powerful enough that AF-lock is more or less instantaneous (7D with EF 100/2,8 L).

Bent C
Bent Christensen
Nauticam and Canon 7D
http://bentmedia.me

#6 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3055 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:57 AM

I agree with Bent Francesco. The Sola 600 works very well with my 100mm. So much lighter and easier to use than my old FIX light.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#7 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:27 AM

I've used several of the less expensive focus lights, and the Sola light made a big difference with my 105mm lens. The sola 500 is a great value compared to the Sola 600 if you are on a budget and feel like you are ok without the red light.

Scott

#8 sasdasdaf

sasdasdaf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Tech, wreck, cave, reef, photography

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:08 AM

I have a Big Blue 1x5W that I find a little weak for use with the 105 mm macro lens. I am planning to upgrade to the Sola 600 sometime soon.

Nikon D7100, Nauticam NA-D7100, Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes
http://sasdasdaf.blogspot.com/

#9 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

I'd try the nano first. What the heck?

Failing that, the i-torch seems to be as good as the sola 600, at about half the price, and it uses AA batteries.

I think Jack Connick Sells them.

http://wetpixel.com/...t...40&start=40
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#10 Luko

Luko

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:58 AM

I am currently using the Inon S550 focus light with my EF-100mm Macro lens, lightweight, inexpensive, needs 3 AA batteries for a sufficient autonomy -something over 90min- so it can also work as a nightlight.
It doesn't have the AFO feature, but I don't think it's very helpful when you're shooting macro at f/22 ISO100,
Pls have a look at my Flickr photo gallery and leave a comment.
Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.
Vanuatu incl.SS Pres.Coolidge wreck.