• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Underthesea

Underthesea

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

What's up everyone, big big newbue here and in desperate need of someGuidance. I finallyPurchase a very good condition used setup to do what I've always wanted to do which is underwater photography problem is u have no idea what I'mDoing! I dont even know where my o-rings are!I have an Olympus c 8080 in ikelite pt035 dual tray housing with a ikelite ds50 strobe, tiffen uv filter, oly cla8 conversion lens adapter, oly wcon08d wide conversion lens, oly tcon14d conversion lens, ttl sync cable, micro diopter and wide angle port. I have no idea how to use any of it! Im ordering replacement orings for y housing and strobe as well as ikelite lubricant. I've been looking at the manuals but all the info is overwhelming! Is there a beginner photo for morons or something? :)Looking for some advice to get rolling here, never really used a camera beyond taking pics of my family etc and I really want to do well with this it means alot to me, really really really appreciat any advice to get rolling, thank you!!!

#2 meme.may.fire

meme.may.fire

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

What's up everyone, big big newbue here and in desperate need of someGuidance. I finallyPurchase a very good condition used setup to do what I've always wanted to do which is underwater photography problem is u have no idea what I'mDoing! I dont even know where my o-rings are!I have an Olympus c 8080 in ikelite pt035 dual tray housing with a ikelite ds50 strobe, tiffen uv filter, oly cla8 conversion lens adapter, oly wcon08d wide conversion lens, oly tcon14d conversion lens, ttl sync cable, micro diopter and wide angle port. I have no idea how to use any of it! Im ordering replacement orings for y housing and strobe as well as ikelite lubricant. I've been looking at the manuals but all the info is overwhelming! Is there a beginner photo for morons or something? :)Looking for some advice to get rolling here, never really used a camera beyond taking pics of my family etc and I really want to do well with this it means alot to me, really really really appreciat any advice to get rolling, thank you!!!

Now that's a lot of equipment for a newbie. macro and WA complete.
No wonder you are overwhelmed.
im not a pro, but base on my newbieness few months back,
an advice i can give is read. A lot.

To get you started read about the camera settings http://www.uwphotogr...rwater-settings
Then read about how to avoid backscatter and strobe positioning.

hope this helps.
cheers
D7000 + 60mm D + Ikelite + Sola 800 + LaLuz 800 x2
Oly XZ1 + Pt50 + D2000

Casually Wet & Deep in Conversation
Vimeo Flickr YouTube

#3 rwe

rwe

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

I have an Olympus 8080 with a duct taped Olympus PT-023 and an Inon Z-240 strobe connected by fiber optics. A few thoughts:
I am not familiar with the Ikelite housing but I doubt you will be able to use the wide angle conversion lens underwater or will want to. Even if you can, I would recommend starting out without it. I have not had much success with it above water.

With your strobe, up close pictures will probably be best to start. The zoom on the 8080 is pretty good until you get to max zoom and even then it is OK if lighting is good. I shoot mostly in manual. I do occasionally use shutter priority (for distance shots with moving fish shutter set to 1/100 or shorter but longer if no moving fish). I set up 4-5 'my modes' setting before diving so that I don't have to use the rotating dial on top of the camera. Once in a my mode, you can adjust aperture and shutter speed by simply using the 4 buttons surrounding the OK button without having to go through any screens. I set up the camera to have quick links to my modes, ISO, and the mode menu. For what I call marco (anything that the strobe lights up totally), I mainly use f/8.0, 1/125 sec, ISO 50, spot metering, and with the strobe set to ttl (flash mode setting on camera 'slow' and then 'slow1' to get sync). For more distant shots, I use ISO 100 or 200 (not 400), f/4-5.6, and shutter 1/60-1/125. I periodically try using P mode for distance shots. For all distance shots with significant ambient lighting you will need to dial in -0.3 or -.7 exposure bias to prevent over-exposures. You can see my photos here: http://www.flickr.co...os/8459071@N08/ . Warning: As my older son frequently reminds me, I was born without a culling gene so there are a lot of bad pictures on this site. After you click on a picture, you can then click on the 'Olympus C8080WZ' at the upper right and it will show you all the camera settings. Good luck, and if you have any specific questions, please ask.
Sony NEX-5N,10Bar Housing, Olympus C-8080, PT-023 (broken port tabs, of course), Inon 240, flickr site: <a href="http://www.flickr.co...os/8459071@N08/"

#4 Underthesea

Underthesea

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:17 PM

Wow, thank you rwe, gives me a place to start. Much appreciated
Meme-thank you as well! Great resource for me.

#5 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2124 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:01 AM

(1) Read the manuals.

(2) Take lots of pictures around your house, but in the housing.

(3) Attach the port (remember those o-rings!) and take photos of your toes in the bath.

(4) Take pictures of your friends, relatives and plastic flowers attached to dive weights in a pool. Concentrate on either wide-angles or close-ups for the first sessions until you are happy: then, and only then, try the other.

(5) Buy a book (Martin Edge's is very good: The Underwater Photographer). Read it (in the bath?).

(6) Go dive (remember those o-rings!)!

(7) Repeat for 5-7 years until happy.

(8) Buy a bigger camera and return to (1), above...

Tim

:(

#6 sluggo

sluggo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

I was in a simliar situation. what I did was take a class from Cathy Church in grand Cayman. It was actually with one of her 'guys' , but it was worth every penny. He showed us how to set up the camera in the housing, how to take pics, etc We got in the water and checked everything out. worth every penny. I am sure there are other people who will do this, check with a local dive shop. We were heading to GC anyway,just took the stuff and said 'here'. Although one always worries about parts etc while on vacation, it all worked out for us. We will probably do it again next year.

#7 twinner

twinner

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

Where are you located? It may be worth paying someone to help speed up the learning curve. There is a lot of great online info out there but nothing beats hands on training.
Todd Winner
www.toddwinner.com

#8 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

Take a photo course such as Kathy Church or from the "Mikes" on the Aggressor boats.

Join an Underwater photo club if one is in your area.
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#9 3PW

3PW

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

I am an amateur photographer using a compact digital camera and strobe set up. Last year myself and my husband did a one day course after a number of years of pretty rubbish / average photos. Morning session learning to use the camera - afternoon in the pool. It was worth every penny. People often spend lots of money on kit but don't have any training. You should invest in a course in my view....