4 replies to this topic

#1 Segerdahl

Segerdahl

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:05 AM

Hi,

Last friday, it was my turn to suddenly realise that my brand new uw-housing (2nd dive with it!) holding my new camera (Nikon D7000) suddenly at the end of a dive was starting to leak!!!

It was a control (for AE-L/AF-L) that was leaking, so it had nothing to do with me not being careful with the o-rings etc.

Yes, I had tested the housing before I went diving with it and, I had already done a 30m dive with it the week before.

Salty water was slowly pooring into the uw-housing and I did NOT panic! NOT?
Yep, I was actually pretty calm, annoyed but calm. Am I very rich or especially stupid? Nope, on the contrary; I was insured: Leak insured!

What? "What company is that, that will restore your images, give you a new camera and underwater housing in a snap" you may ask yourself.
Well, I don't know of any company that does that for you, but what I did have was three sachets from leak insure. They were installed at the bottom my my uw-housing and nicely sucked up all the water that was coming in.
The camera is weather sealed so it can handle a little water, but only a little and during that dive I had shot some macro video footage that I was very happy with.
I had been down to around 30m for quite some time so I could not just surface.
I realised that if I did not touch the control, water stopped coming in, but already pretty much water had leaked into the housing as I had been using the control alot (for focusing).

At that moment I swam to my buddie who was taking pictures a few meters away and realised that I didn't know the sign for "f*ck, my uw-housing is leaking!" (do you?). I was pointing and doing all sorts of signs but he only understood the thumb UP sign and we slowly aborted the dive, did our safety stop and when we finally surfaced he asked me what the problem was. I told him that my camera flooded and he said "how could you stay so calm". I told him about my "insurance" and he got very curious.

Well to cut a long story short I just wanted to share with you how a terrible incident ended quite happily. The cost of the leak insure sachets is very little and I am so happy I remembered to install (3 of) them prior to the dive. As it was a new housing I must admit that I almost forgot to.

So did a sachet save my life last night?
Well, for sure 3 sachets saved the life of my camera and it was last friday to tell you the truth... But, as it also saved my video footage (that turned out to be great!) and it prevented me from getting a "heart attack". I even made a second dive with the camera that day. I reprogrammed the button on the camera so that I could use another control for the same function, did not use the leaking control, installed new sachets and got even more great video footage to bring home.

I, of course, had to send my uw-housing for repair, which really sucks, but the camera and the video on the memory cards are still alive and kicking. Hopefully the uw-housing company will be nice enough and asap send me a new housing. It was more or less a DOA.

No, I don't work for leak insure in any way, I am just a happy customer and I just wanted to help you get a little extra marginal in case the worst thing happens to you too.

Here's their link btw:
http://www.leakinsure.co.uk/
Nikon D7000, Ikelite housing and strobes, SOLA 1200 video lights.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3044 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:08 AM

Glad it worked out. The signal I came up with years ago on the spur of the moment was to make my hand look like a gun and shoot myself in the head after pointing to the housing. My buddy knew exactly what had happened. :(

For the sake of completeness, which housing had the problem?

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

The signal I came up with years ago on the spur of the moment was to make my hand look like a gun and shoot myself in the head after pointing to the housing.

I tried that signal, but found that my middle finger lifted up then pointing to the housing was just as effective and easier to do quickly.

#4 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:41 AM

There is a sign, but your partner must now it in order to be useful.
It's the sign of bubbles, we use that sign a lot in tech diving. You point the element that has the leaking and then use the bubble sign.

I'm trying to find a drawing of the sign.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#5 diggy

diggy

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:40 PM

Similar thing happened to me in the red sea. Had an extension ring from where water seemed to be coming in. Was too deep to ignore a safety stop. So told my buddy and aborted the dive. Was saved by an age old formula :( Sanitary pads LOL. I put these at the botom of the housing and squeeze them at the sides....and guess what...camera saved with no damage :lol:

Cant remember the brand though :(

Cheers,

Diggy

Hi,

Last friday, it was my turn to suddenly realise that my brand new uw-housing (2nd dive with it!) holding my new camera (Nikon D7000) suddenly at the end of a dive was starting to leak!!!

It was a control (for AE-L/AF-L) that was leaking, so it had nothing to do with me not being careful with the o-rings etc.

Yes, I had tested the housing before I went diving with it and, I had already done a 30m dive with it the week before.

Salty water was slowly pooring into the uw-housing and I did NOT panic! NOT?
Yep, I was actually pretty calm, annoyed but calm. Am I very rich or especially stupid? Nope, on the contrary; I was insured: Leak insured!

What? "What company is that, that will restore your images, give you a new camera and underwater housing in a snap" you may ask yourself.
Well, I don't know of any company that does that for you, but what I did have was three sachets from leak insure. They were installed at the bottom my my uw-housing and nicely sucked up all the water that was coming in.
The camera is weather sealed so it can handle a little water, but only a little and during that dive I had shot some macro video footage that I was very happy with.
I had been down to around 30m for quite some time so I could not just surface.
I realised that if I did not touch the control, water stopped coming in, but already pretty much water had leaked into the housing as I had been using the control alot (for focusing).

At that moment I swam to my buddie who was taking pictures a few meters away and realised that I didn't know the sign for "f*ck, my uw-housing is leaking!" (do you?). I was pointing and doing all sorts of signs but he only understood the thumb UP sign and we slowly aborted the dive, did our safety stop and when we finally surfaced he asked me what the problem was. I told him that my camera flooded and he said "how could you stay so calm". I told him about my "insurance" and he got very curious.

Well to cut a long story short I just wanted to share with you how a terrible incident ended quite happily. The cost of the leak insure sachets is very little and I am so happy I remembered to install (3 of) them prior to the dive. As it was a new housing I must admit that I almost forgot to.

So did a sachet save my life last night?
Well, for sure 3 sachets saved the life of my camera and it was last friday to tell you the truth... But, as it also saved my video footage (that turned out to be great!) and it prevented me from getting a "heart attack". I even made a second dive with the camera that day. I reprogrammed the button on the camera so that I could use another control for the same function, did not use the leaking control, installed new sachets and got even more great video footage to bring home.

I, of course, had to send my uw-housing for repair, which really sucks, but the camera and the video on the memory cards are still alive and kicking. Hopefully the uw-housing company will be nice enough and asap send me a new housing. It was more or less a DOA.

No, I don't work for leak insure in any way, I am just a happy customer and I just wanted to help you get a little extra marginal in case the worst thing happens to you too.

Here's their link btw:
http://www.leakinsure.co.uk/

SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,    FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy          http://www.scubadiggy.com/

Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240, Nauticam SMC converter, +3, +5 diopters. Two Sola 2000, One Sola 1200, Go Pro hero 3 Black