• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 04:37 AM

Does anyone know what I have to do to install a burner? Do I have to get one from Toshiba, or can I go aftermarket?

You can buy one from Toshiba or buy an external CD burner (what I'm planning to do before the next dive vacation)
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#22 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 04:44 AM

Since I travel all the time with a laptop, it's not really an option not to bring one along, just because I feel strange without one. On my laptop, there is a combo DVD/CD-RW, so backup and entertainment in one package. Lately though, I've been considering getting an external reader / storage device too, just because I'm feeling a bit paranoid about losing images. On my last trip I used the "1 carryon + 1 personal item" limit as I do on business trips, and carried 2 things on. One was a backpack with my laptop, charger, and some random stuff. The other was a soft Pelican case that fits my D60 body, 2 lenses, Sea & Sea housing, 1 port, DS-50 strobe, camera charger, and some of my ULCS pieces. I checked my regs and computers, and also the arm sections for my strobes (too much like a weapon).

We have trainers that check laptops, 5 of them actually, in Pelican 1620 cases with custom cut foam, but I don't think I would ever personally do that. I've just seen too many screens break from very minor bumps to trust the baggage handlers.

#23 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 12:04 PM

I can't remember -- did we ever see a photo of your soft pelican case, packed? I'm amazed that you can cram so much stuff in there. :P
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#24 Rob Esaw

Rob Esaw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 09:13 PM

No kidding. You must travel first class!!!

All us photographers have so much money to burn...

#25 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 07:14 AM

No, you haven't seen a picture yet, as up until now I've just been to lazy. What better time than the present though, right?

Here's a quick shot of the main compartment. It's got my housing with the handles removed, an NX Zoom port (far left corner), handles (on top of the port cover), the DS-50 (middle left of housing), and an Ikelite Mini-C (left side, home made diffuser, forgot to mention that piece in the list). I put my ULCS clamps and such in the right side expandable pocket (the one that's open), but I leave it compressed for the most part.

Posted Image

Here's a view of the top pocket. I've put my Elan 7e in place of the D60 just as a placeholder. Keep in mind I haven't gotten a decent lense to use with the housing yet, so I've been limited to the 28-80. I don't always bring the 75-300 next to it, I mostly shoot with my 28-135 IS, but I'm using that to take the picture. The charger is to the left of that, and the cord would go in the pocket with the ULCS parts, or in the other expandable pocket. The 8" arms also fit, but I check them because of security measures that frown on long metal objects but allow tripods on board as carryon luggage.

Posted Image

There's a tripod strap / bungee on the bottom which I usually end up stuffing a north face shell or fleece in if I'm carrying a jacket on the plane. The beauty of this bag is that it fits in a Pelican 1520 hardcase, which I don't have yet. That way, if I really needed to, I could check the whole thing (I shudder to think about it), or effectively have an extra bag with me.

Funny you should mention First Class... Because of work, I'm platinum elite on Continental, and their FF program kicks butt. So, domestically if I'm flying on Continental or Northwest, I generally get upgraded for free. On vacation, I use FF miles either to upgrade any ticket I actually pay for, or to get First Class with mileage. Even when I travel in coach, being platinum lets me board early to use all of the overhead space, oops I mean, to board at my leisure, and that's how I can consistently travel with 2 carryons...

#26 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 01:30 PM

You just got a great deal.  I paid somewhat more for the same unit.  It seems to work much better than the MindStor that I had before.  I am a little bit envious of the newly announced SimpleTech unit with the 2.5" screen though.  But I needed this one to go to Cayman this week.

Just thought I'd report that the Archos worked flawlessly for my two weeks in Grand Cayman. It was nice not having to carry a CD player too.

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#27 grasshopper

grasshopper

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 03:29 PM

Impressive packing of Pelican soft case. :D
I'm in the market for a carry-on that will take a smaller camera set up (Oly c3040z, UCLS tray/arm 8"x2, Oly macro lens, Ikelite DS-125, charger) and a medium laptop (Dell 8200). Any suggestions? I've seen LowePro with a backpack setup, that might work. Eric has a great case for sale, but it's not carry-on size and I'm worried about checking in a laptop and camera to the baggage guerillas. :rolleyes: Thoughts?

Thanks,

Sean

#28 jnsgonda

jnsgonda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 04:24 PM

Tom,

Do you know the model number of your soft Pelican case? Approximately how much does it weigh when packed?

Thanks,

John
Nikon D-200, Ikelite Housing, Dual DS-125 Strobes.

#29 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 05:18 PM

Here's a link to the bag at B&H where I bought it. Pelican 1520 Soft Bag

It probably weighs 40 pounds or so packed, maybe more, it's definitely not light. One of the nice things is that it's got a strap on the back side that slides over the telescoping handle on most pieces of luggage, including my Akona dive bag, so it's not terrible to cart around. it does get heavy after a while using the single shoulder strap, but as I recently discovered, it's got hideaway back pack straps.

#30 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 11:34 PM

I'm in the market for a carry-on that will take a smaller camera set up (Oly c3040z, UCLS tray/arm 8"x2, Oly macro lens, Ikelite DS-125, charger) and a medium laptop (Dell 8200). Any suggestions? I've seen LowePro with a backpack setup, that might work. Eric has a great case for sale, but it's not carry-on size and I'm worried about checking in a laptop and camera to the baggage guerillas. unsure.gif Thoughts?

I Use a nice Carry On Size Tamron Camera Bag (Pro Series) with a padded Laptop Compartment.

But it is not Carry On Weight when packed, so don't let anyone of the personell help you puting it away. ;-)

Bye Simon