My first images from Bali

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

Hi folks,

Just back from a trip to Bali.
My first time south of the equator- and my first time in Indonesia.
I loved it- albeit it was a long haul for little me.
Pics by no means perfect- just thought I'd share some with you.
Any constructive critique very welcome.

Attached Images

• blue.jpg
  • wonder.jpg
  • harli.jpg
  • libertjk.jpg

Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2985 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

Looks like it was well worth the long flight Damien. Congrats on a productive trip. Where did you stay?

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

Hi Steve,

Thank you kind sir.

I stayed in Scuba Seraya.
Lovely place to stay and really lovely staff- who made me feel very much at home.
We had alot of laughs together too!
:)
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

Visit My Flickr Website

#4 sasdasdaf

sasdasdaf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Tech, wreck, cave, reef, photography

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hi Damo,

Very nice pics and good variety too. I like Bali a lot due to the diversity of dive sites and marine life. And the culture, nature, and history is great too. Which areas did you dive and what were your favorite sites?

Nikon D7100, Nauticam NA-D7100, Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes
http://sasdasdaf.blogspot.com/

#5 Canuck

Canuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

Nice captures. That HQ shrimp looks even bigger now. Well fed! Glad you enjoyed SS, it is a wonderful operation.

John Davies
Canon 70D / Nauticam / dual Inons
my photos

#6 Travy

Travy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Canon 7D,Inon Z220,Sony DSR 400P,Aquacam Futura Pro

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:06 AM

Very nice,i like the perspective on the ribbon eel.Reminds me of my time i spent in Bali,a wonderfull place.

Travy
Canon 7D,Nauticam NA 7D housing,Inon Z220s strobes,Canon 60mm macro,Tokina 10-17mm
Sony DSR 400P,Panasonic DVX 100B,Futura Pro Housing,Macbook Pro i5 (FCP,Aperture&Lightroom)

#7 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:17 AM

Thanks guys for your kind words
To answer specifics- we did alot of diving very close to Scuba Seraya- Liberty wreck, Batu Kelebit, Seraya Secrets, Alamanda(?) etc. and being on a dive photo trip- we dived many sites again and again. The biodiversity of the sites was mindblowing! The guides of Seraya have eyes like Hawks!

The one site that probably got the best prize for popularity with me and my fellow shooters- was a site called The Coral Gardens. The Liberty is a mindblowing site- but I did find it hard work at times-photographically- because of currents. I tried to do mostly wide angle shooting on her-because of the jacks and the sponges- but she is just as good as a macro site- I should've shot her more on this- but I just loved the school of jacks too much.
The picture of the jacks is a result of me literally staying at 6 meters for most of the dive, swimming in the current with them-they were very gracious to allow me into their shoal.

The Harlequin shrimp was one of a pair. :)

Edited by Damo, 16 May 2011 - 12:19 AM.

Visit My Flickr Website

#8 scuba princess

scuba princess

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:43 AM

Hey Mr Bean!
Nice shots. T and I dived the wreck a few times after leaving SS. One morning we got there at 6:30. the light was gorgeous and the jacks just blew my mind away. thoughts of anything else lost.... ahhhh...

cheers

Eleanor

#9 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:59 AM

:( :)

Amen to that Princess!

Visit My Flickr Website