10 replies to this topic

#1 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

Hey Crew

So I used a Nikonos 1 on a model shoot recently. Follow my terribly newb film questions here

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've got 2 more rolls from seperate shoots on the way

Its a big learning curve but I'm happy with these.

There pretty much excitedly what I was after. Moody, old school, underwater shots

blog at www.fishdontdrown.blogspot.com

Also, these are super low res scans with NO editing. I plan on getting $70 high res drum scans at 9000 dpi (or whatever the salesman said) and editing them in PS and then printing them BIG (2+M)

Cheers

Cal

Edited by Cal, 17 May 2011 - 10:21 AM.

http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#2 ndp_2010

ndp_2010

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:13 AM

nice shots.
What film were you using?
Seem to lack a bit of contrast, might just be due to missing exposure or the way it was scanned. Also if it was old film it might also affect how long it needed to be developed.

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

Hey Cal,
You are losing me a little here. For me the images are just washed out. I would prefer if the moodiness was created with lighting rather than the flat washed out look I see. I think it is a combination of underexposure and uncompensated film processing and printing.
I think you would be able to control the effect a lot better with well exposed film negs or digital RAWS and appropriate post-processing in the darkroom or photoshop.
I think I have a sense of what you are trying to do, I'm just not sure the end result is what you intend for the viewer, at least for me.

Edited by loftus, 17 May 2011 - 08:55 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hey

Film was Illford 400 BW.

Loftus - Oh i'm not trying to create anything amazing here. I just wanted to shoot film and see what it looked like. These are actually the first film photos ive ever taken! :(

I got the lab to do the processing etc so it is very flat. I have no doubt that if I got a high res scan and ran some PS on these that they could come up ok but not incredible.

its all just for the love of underwater photography :)

#5 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

A few More

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cheers!

#6 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:57 AM

No worries; it's all fun. Just digital is so much easier. Relying on a lab unless exposures are perfect, can screw things up with film.
The only thing I miss about the darkroom is making out with my old girlfriend. :)
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#7 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

A few more film shots from my Diana Lomography Camera - it uses 120 film. I love the washed out , light leaked affect. These are very cool!

Luna Park - Melbourne
Posted Image

My buddy and me (on right) surfing at Bells Beach.
Posted Image

"The only thing I miss about the darkroom is making out with my old girlfriend. " Haha thats gold! :)

Edited by Cal, 17 May 2011 - 10:05 AM.

#8 ndp_2010

ndp_2010

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:23 PM

I like your second set of shots.
Ilford has hp5 and xp2 400 films, both are good, one you can get processed in c 41 (xp2) and hp5 has to be done in traditional chemicals. although it is possible to develop xp2 in traditional bw chems.
You can easily develop black and white at home, its very simple. The chemicals will cost about $50 but will be able to do over 100 rolls depending on how many you process at once. Not only cheaper but you also have more control over how contrasty the film becomes. Dont even need a darkroom to develop film, although it helps a bit. :)

#9 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

"Ilford has hp5 and xp2 400 films, both are good, one you can get processed in c 41 (xp2) and hp5 has to be done in traditional chemicals. although it is possible to develop xp2 in traditional bw chems. " :)

I have no idea about chemicals etc but i'm learning quickly. Google speeds up the learning curve dramatically. Home dark room sounds unreal!

Basically out of all of this I would love to hang a few 35mm shots in a local gallery. It'll take a dozen or so more shoots before I start getting anything decent but its been great fun along the way

Cheers!

Cal

#10 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

Man, I feel old. Really kind of funny how you young'uns who know digital are trying to go retro and learn film stuff. I even have a developing tank you can have when you come over Cal. Show you how to use it over a few cold ones.
I still find it interesting though that folks would resort to film though to create a grunge look or lomography or whatever, when we can so easily do it in PS with filters plug-ins etc. It's easy to take a good quality digital image and degrade it. Now if one is prepared to invest the time and money in a good darkroom, enlarger etc, then film of course can really shine. But it takes work. Hmmm....maybe I should do that again, never know the chicks may dig me again. :)

#11 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

Yeah it is funny how these things come full circle!

I'm curious as to the commericial fine art viability of shooting 35mm and exhibiting it. So shoot, process, scan and then photoshop it and market it as a 35mm print. I wonder if you could fetch more $ than a regular DSLR shot. Obviously, a good shot sells irrelevant of format but it would be a nice way of getting an exhibition together plus the marketing side of it would possibily get it some more media attention.

Lomography really is all the rage again. Its no where near as big in Canada as in Australia from what i've seen. I just really like the feel and idea of film. I've one one roll of 120 in my Diana and I want it to last the whole country haha. I like using it to story tell. Its not about getting great shots, its about getting a story from an image.

"maybe I should do that again, never know the chicks may dig me again. " - and maybe I should become a plastic surgeon? :B):