8 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:41 AM

30 years ago I worked as a volunteer at the privately run Sherkin Ireland Marine Station in County Cork, Ireland. Since then I have visited and revisited Ireland and spent a lot of time diving around the coast. Matt Murphy, the director of the marine Station asked me to write and illustrate a new book earlier this year (he had already published "Ireland's Marine Life - a world of beauty" back in 1992 which I provided most of the photos for) which he can sell to help finance the marine station's continued work even in these straightened times. And I was delighted to do so and did. Matt has just received copies from the printer in Cork and it lloks just as we'd hoped. The photos were taken over the last 30 years and I'm actually both surprised and impressed at just how well 30 year old Ektachromes (processed on the marine station using only a kettle to heat the processing solutions and thermometers which were used for Nansen bottle water sample temperatures too - digital is soooooo mush easier) stand up against 5D2 and M8 files! Its a real mix of film and digital. The book was designed by Matt's Daughter Sue at the marine station and I was responsible for text and producing digital files all ready and sharpened for the printer to convert to cmyk (always worrying doing this!). As I said, the aim is to help fund the marine station which has produced some very important long term datasets, and I can supply copies in the UK, whilst Matt can supply worldwide. Full details can be seen here:
http://www.sherkinma...iddendepths.htm

IHD.jpg
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:48 AM

Looks fantastic Paul. Always great to see a labour of love.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2985 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:42 AM

Congratulations Paul! Way to go partner. It must feel so good to have it completed after all the hard work.

Sláinte,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:57 AM

Well I've have just been informed that this book which had been nominated for the "Mountbatten Maritime Media Award for Best Literary Contribution" succeeded in being "Short listed by The Maritime Foundation for the Maritime Media Awards 2011" and whilst it did not win, I am delighted that the book which took a great deal of hard work and was published in such an economically difficult time did so well. (http://www.bmcf.org.uk/)
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#5 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1705 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:11 AM

Congratulations Paul!

Great news.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#6 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:43 AM

Congrats Paul! Well done :)

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#7 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

Excellent job Mr Kay

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#8 maggie54

maggie54

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

Well done!

Matt

#9 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

Very attractive Paul. I hope you feel rewarded for your obvious efforts.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?