7 replies to this topic

#1 tyanea

tyanea

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

Hi all:

I have had problems on my last trip with a couple of buttons sticking on my ikelite housing. It seemed to be worse at depth. Sometimes they wouldn't move until I was out of the water. I tried to work the buttons in and out in the rinse tank. I still had problems.
I could always return to ikelite to service, but this was done maybe 60 dives ago. Any ideas of how I can correct this?
Love Photography! Love Diving! Love that I can put them both together!!

#2 Bent C

Bent C

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

Hi

Have you tried to lube the o-rings on the buttons that stick? Push the button all way in and apply a small amount of lube on the shaft of the button. Then work the push button a number of times. That should do it.
Regards

Bent

Hi all:

I have had problems on my last trip with a couple of buttons sticking on my ikelite housing. It seemed to be worse at depth. Sometimes they wouldn't move until I was out of the water. I tried to work the buttons in and out in the rinse tank. I still had problems.
I could always return to ikelite to service, but this was done maybe 60 dives ago. Any ideas of how I can correct this?

Bent Christensen
Nauticam and Canon 7D
http://bentmedia.me

#3 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

Maybe you have salt build up in them. Remove, Clean, Lube, Replace and test.
Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#4 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

If lubricating the shafts from the inside don't work enough, you may have salt/sand/chalk deposits/build-up between the housing and the knob.
soak the housing for somehours in lukewarm destilled water and then move all knobs, if still sticky, take them out and clean them troughly.
It may be a wise idea to change all the o-rings with new ones while the knob is out but be advised that the small c-clips break easy while
prying them off but any Ikelite dealer should have them i stock and they are cheap.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#5 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:16 PM

It sounds as though the buttons do need a service, it's not too scarey a task to complete yourself, just remove the circlip on each button and then give the button shaft a good clean. I'd suggest getting some spare circlips and springs from Ikelite first, the clips do sometimes break when you remove them..... and make sure you give the housing a good test ex camera once your completed :B):

Edited by bottlefish, 25 May 2011 - 11:18 PM.

Visit bottlefish.net for my personal web site.
Visit Black Flag TV Ltd if you'd like to hire me or any of our cameras.

#6 tyanea

tyanea

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will give these options a go.
Love Photography! Love Diving! Love that I can put them both together!!

#7 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:47 AM

Here is the advice that Ike Bingham gave me years ago:

Always push the buttons after diving in a fresh water dip tank in addition to light hosing. Buttoms must be pushed to eliminate any salt or sand in the pockets.

He sent me a small thin tipped bottle of viscous silicone which allowed me to squirt small drops onto the pushbutton shafts.

Blow down buttons after diving and rinsing as above. Get the excess water out of button pocket.

P.S. I just asked Ikelite if they sold any silicone like that and they said no, its was shop item.

They are missing out on a great sales item IMHO.

#8 casbba

casbba

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:47 PM

A good way to remove the circlips without losing them is to use a pair of curved artery forceps. You can pick up a pair of eBay fairly cheaply and they allow you you to grip and lock down on a circlip for easy removal and replacement.

A nozzle that fits onto a BC inflator hose is also useful for blowing water out of push button control recesses after a dive.