Fiji Nudibranch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 03 January 2004 - 04:17 PM

Photographed this little (3 cm) fellow last month in the Vatu-I-Ra Channel in Fiji. I can't find him in any of my sources. Sorry - it's not a real good shot - only the back of his head.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

Posted Image
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing with housed SB800 flash.

#2 lindai

lindai

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 05:01 PM

Wow, this one is great find.

It isn't in my "standard" books, but amazingly is on the dust cover of a Japanese book I have - "Opisthobranchs of Kerama Islands" by Ono Atsushi and is shown on page 75 as a "Trapania sp" which generally means unidentified. It was found in Zamani Island.

It is also on page 71 of another Japanese book I have, "Opisthobranchs of Bali and Indonesia" by Takamasa Tonozuka. He calls it Trapania sp A. His was found in the Karimunjawa Islands.

I looked on the Sea Slug Forum and he is listed as Trapania sp 1 and can be seen here:
http://www.seaslugfo...apwam.htm#m3666
Scroll down and you will see photo of a black and white version like yours.

You might want to send in your shot to the forum, as Fiji is a new location to have found it.

Regards, Linda I.
Linda Ianniello - Nikon D200, Sea & Sea housing, Inon ring strobe, dual Inon Z220 strobes, Nikon 60mm and 105mm lenses.

#3 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 04 January 2004 - 12:45 PM

Thanks, Linda, I really appreciate the information. As you suggested, I sent a report with two images to the Sea Slug Forum.

Much thanks!

Jim

Posted Image
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

#4 Helge Suess

Helge Suess

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:27 PM

Hi!

Please, send a copy to MedSlugs too. They'll love it. There's also a bunch of links to pictures of various kinds of Trapania but I didn't find time to browse through all of them to find if yours is amongst them.

Helge ;-)=)
Olympus E-5 in UK-GERMANY housing and a bag full of glass ...

#5 lindai

lindai

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:11 AM

By the way, Jim's images got posted on the Sea Slug Forum yesterday ... here is the link http://www.seaslugfo...rapwam&id=11802

Very good!

Regards, Linda
Linda Ianniello - Nikon D200, Sea & Sea housing, Inon ring strobe, dual Inon Z220 strobes, Nikon 60mm and 105mm lenses.

#6 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:32 AM

Thanks, Linda and Helge!

Jim
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia