21 replies to this topic

#21 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:24 AM

Hi jlyle,
Good to hear they responded....I know everybody has automatically the right to their own pictures but I don't know what happens when you post the pics for the public to see, without either watermark or copyright stamp ( on your link I couldn't find either)....the watermarks are usually destroying the pictures beauty and I don't know how solid a copyright statement is....I guess we can only be careful and hope for the courtesy of others...

Cheers,

Henrik

From the moment you press the shutter, the image created is yours. Its your exclusive intellectual property to do with as you and you alone see fit. You do not need to assert your ownership, its inherent. By publishing an image you are not waiving your rights to it.......unless you do so in writing.

Trouble is, not everyone realises or understands this, or if they do they choose to ignore. Watermarks do degrade the image, but that's the whole point - speaking from personal experience it compels users of your images to ask permission first if they really want to reproduce the image in a meaningful way. just like the inherent protection you enjoy permission first is another misunderstood but fundamental aspect of intellectual property law.

Its for these reasons a bold-yet-subtle watermark is recommended for anything published.

Glad to hear a satisfactory outcome was achieved.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#22 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

Mazeltov!! Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and call it an 'error' on their part.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.