5 replies to this topic

#1 sammie

sammie

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

Hey folks,
Just got commissioned to shoot my first underwater vid- it's for a band, and it will be used for advertising via A.R., they'd like it shot at 1080p at 24fps or more. I've got a GoPro HD and they shoot 1080p and 30fps, however I'm not technologically versed enough to know whether or not the quality will be good enough for the viewing platform of smartphones, like the iPhone, Blackberry, etc...

Also, while I'm asking for advise... I'm trying to think of a good location to shoot in. They need it by mid-July, and I'll be in Europe from June 6th till July 21st, so I have to shoot there, probably in the Mediterranean. They band would like some sea life, and for it to be as clear as possible. I've never been diving in Europe, I've been trying to search the forums for tips, and YouTube- both haven't proved to be too successful. So if you can think of any great place for me to check out, please let me know! I had originally planed to shoot off Sardinia, but now there will be a documenting crew following me, and they'd prefer it off the mainland...

Thanks,
Sammie

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:11 AM

The GoPro should be ok for low resolution viewing up to 20" screens without looking too bad. It's when you start watching it on big screens the resolution starts being annoying.
But why ask us when it's your clients who should be giving the go ahead? Can't you shoot a pool test and ask them if the quality is good enough?

I suggest you ask the location question in the Travel sub forum.... oh and add what you are looking to shoot? Coral reef, sea scapes, lotsa fish (big or small)?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

I just did some R3 720/60p and the resolution is not so great on a 20" even. I think you should talk to the band and director on what quality they do want.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

Hey Drew, have you got any manual control with those things or its just point and shoot?
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:50 PM

Nope, it's gopro dude... just guess point and shoot since there's no LCD to view without the accessory monitor, which I sat on a few days ago :)

Drew

#6 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

I recently used 4 GoPro's on a shoot and they are ok as there is enough light...but they are what they as $300 cam. Don't expect miracles and make fast cuts :)

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney