No replies to this topic

#1 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:21 AM

Here is trip video from our Ocean Dancer, Maldives trip

In short it is a great spot. While there are reefs still suffering from the coral bleaching in 1998 some are coming back, minus the diversity they once had. We did encounter mantas on several dives and one juv whale shark while sitting on a safety stop. Deeper down the reef were quite beautiful and surprised us with some wildly colored soft corals. While the fish life is not as diverse or dense as you find in Indonesia it was quite good. I think after diving so much in the Coral Triangle we have become a bit jaded. We were there during the doldroms, Julie wanted it HOT and Calm and it was. But it is not prime whale shark or manta season. I think the combination of prime whale/manta season and reefs is what makes many love this destination

The Ocean Dancer is a very nice boat; modern, comfortable, that high end hotel feel and that includes the service. According to the owner they are leaving the Dancer Fleet and striking out on their own or joining Peter Hughes new venture. If I have one issue it was with the number of dives, 3 per day. I prefer 4 with the option of a night dive. The owner says they are going for a more "relaxed" feel and in addition 3 dives per day is better for the crew. In all honesty I felt it was a long way to go for just 3 dives per day, my humble opinion. Will we go back? Maybe, someday but Raja is calling.....

Edited by NWDiver, 04 June 2011 - 06:24 AM.