• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

Sony announced the HXR-NX3D1, the professional version of the HDR-TD10. With the same dual G lens and dual ExMor sensor configuration, the NX3D1 shoots 1080/60/50p, making it NTSC and PAL compatible. The codec is still the modified AVCHD 1080p, at 50/60fps, giving it a natural slow motion playback at 23.98 fps in 3D.
There is no HD SDI output and functions listed are limited compared to higher end cameras like the Panasonic 3DA1, but it records in 1080/60p and is dual sensored, so the quality output should be similar. The TD10 can focus down to 80cm in 3D mode. The NX3D1 should be able to do the same. In 3D mode, the lens is 35mm (in 35mm equivalent) wide, unlike the 47mm of the 3DA1. It's compact size should be a boon for travel.
It's due out in summer of 2011 with a estimated price of $3500.

Sony HXR-NX3D1

Attached File  mk11020301_07_hxrnx3d1u__nl.jpg   82.28KB   3 downloads

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 fijifish

fijifish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:10 AM

Sony announced the HXR-NX3D1, the professional version of the HDR-TD10. With the same dual G lens and dual ExMor sensor configuration, the NX3D1 shoots 1080/60/50p, making it NTSC and PAL compatible. The codec is still the modified AVCHD 1080p, at 50/60fps, giving it a natural slow motion playback at 23.98 fps in 3D.
There is no HD SDI output and functions listed are limited compared to higher end cameras like the Panasonic 3DA1, but it records in 1080/60p and is dual sensored, so the quality output should be similar. The TD10 can focus down to 80cm in 3D mode. The NX3D1 should be able to do the same. In 3D mode, the lens is 35mm (in 35mm equivalent) wide, unlike the 47mm of the 3DA1. It's compact size should be a boon for travel.
It's due out in summer of 2011 with a estimated price of $3500.

Sony HXR-NX3D1

Attached File  mk11020301_07_hxrnx3d1u__nl.jpg   82.28KB   3 downloads

My name is Richard. I joined wetpixel in hopes of getting some help shooting 3D underwater. I am a novice and somewhat overwhelmed by all the complexity involved, particularly with the 2 camcorder rigs. I just want to have fun with 3D and plan to make my own housing for the new TD10. I want to shoot in auto mode but I am concerned the auto convergence will not work because of the light refraction issues related to shooting through a flat port. My first question is: If I place the camcorder in a waterproof box with a 1/4" thick flat "port" (placing the front of the TD10 against the port, resulting in the 2 lenses being about 3/4" from the port) will the auto convergence work? My second ? is: Can I use a dome port instead to preserve the 34.5mm angle of view, or will the dome mess things up?

#3 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

My name is Richard. I joined wetpixel in hopes of getting some help shooting 3D underwater. I am a novice and somewhat overwhelmed by all the complexity involved, particularly with the 2 camcorder rigs. I just want to have fun with 3D and plan to make my own housing for the new TD10. I want to shoot in auto mode but I am concerned the auto convergence will not work because of the light refraction issues related to shooting through a flat port. My first question is: If I place the camcorder in a waterproof box with a 1/4" thick flat "port" (placing the front of the TD10 against the port, resulting in the 2 lenses being about 3/4" from the port) will the auto convergence work? My second ? is: Can I use a dome port instead to preserve the 34.5mm angle of view, or will the dome mess things up?

Hello Richard. Welcome to the world of 3D underwater. Best way to learn is to get started. I am planning to try out the TD10 myself but have been waiting for more reviews on the 3D video quality. I have a modified Light and Motion top dawg housing for this. One thing that really lets this TD10 down is Sony has taken away the data out display just like the CX700 so making it impossible to see data and video with a back monitor. Another problem and hopefully not for long is the editing software compatibility with the new H.264 MVC codec. I am sure some plug-ins for FCP or Sony Vega may solve that issue.

The housing flat port is another issue. This is the same for all 3D housings. 25% increase in magnification means the actual distances appear 1/4 length closer. Judging distances is important and I think it is best to forget convergence setting and just shoot parallel. If possible pre-judge the distances and preset interaxial for different distances. Convergence could be set in post. This way it makes the control less complicated. The TD10 auto-convergence is set at the screen size of the camcorder which is great piece of glasses-free 3D technology but the 3D may not appear right on a big HD TV. Many many things to play with and consider. Forget the dome port. It has never worked. Its not possible as far as I know.

Good luck and I am sure you will have lots of fun finding out.

Cheers

David

Edited by CheungyDiver, 24 June 2011 - 06:32 AM.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#4 chedden

chedden

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

The Sealux housings for both the TD10 and NX3D1 do not support an external LCD screen or monitor. This is because the new Sonys don't support simultaneous LANC control and AV out, so one must look through a circular port of the Sealux to view the open camcorder LCD screen when composing a shot. I'm averse to the necessity of holding an underwater housing up to my eye to frame a shot as I often float the rig at arm's length when tracking a shot, holding the housing at an angle from the centerline of my body. Does anyone have any experience with these or similar Sealux housings and can vouch for the ease of viewing the cam's screen through the hole in the housing? The Sealux dealer in Miami does not stock or exhibit these housings.

#5 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:22 PM

I have used the HDR TD10 both on land and underwater with a modified Light and Motion Stingray housing. Video signal output 2D is possible and the control grips could do zoom and record even access menu but it is still buggy (it is only a prototype). No data out is displayed not that the TD10 has any to start with. It is actually a very simple camcorder apart from the 3D. The LCD monitor is bright and autostereoscopic thanks its lenticular screen so viewing angle is limited especially for 3D. The good thing is you don't have to wear 3D glasses. The LCD monitor on the Stingray housing is normal 2D so one cannot really use that to adjust 3D separation or any manual controls since there is no data displayed. For more control there is no choice but to look at the camcorder's LCD.

With Sealux I believe in the housing for the NX3D1 there is a control for 3D separation and display control for the left or right camera or even display difference which is really useful to judge whether the 3D separation is out of wack or not. I had a steep learning curve in using this TD 10 UW due to the lack of features and manual control. On land it is easier to switch back and forth between intelligent auto mode to manual. In manual 3D only the exposure and 3D separation is adjustable. However in auto the camcorder is surprisingly accurate in focusing and adjusting the right amount of 3D. I believe the NX3D1 (essentially the same camera with XLR) has slightly more manual features. No MWB in 3D which is a real bummer and to me it is really critical for UW video. The camera footage could go from one extreme to another and totally unpredictable with auto colour balance when light level changes. In night dives this is much easier to deal with. In fact it is much easier as you could point two video lights to create a central bright spot of light and let the camera adjust the 3D distance to that. seems to work most of the time.

I do not have the sealux housing for the TD10 or the NX3D1. I believe they are available now. I still have my old sealux for a Panasonic HD camcorder and uses similar optical viewfinders. It is quite good and I could still see the screen 2 inches away from the VF hood and so still could use my other eye to track where I am going. I have not tried the 3D housing yet. I might do so if the NX3d1 has some significant improvement on the manual controls for 3D and other functions. i hope this helps.

I will post some video snippets soon.

regards

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#6 nino.ten

nino.ten

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Video and film

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

The Sealux housings for both the TD10 and NX3D1 do not support an external LCD screen or monitor. This is because the new Sonys don't support simultaneous LANC control and AV out, so one must look through a circular port of the Sealux to view the open camcorder LCD screen when composing a shot. I'm averse to the necessity of holding an underwater housing up to my eye to frame a shot as I often float the rig at arm's length when tracking a shot, holding the housing at an angle from the centerline of my body. Does anyone have any experience with these or similar Sealux housings and can vouch for the ease of viewing the cam's screen through the hole in the housing? The Sealux dealer in Miami does not stock or exhibit these housings.

I have the Sealux housing for the NX3D1U. The viewfinder is quite easy to look through, and it has it advantages in bright conditions because there is no glare. The disadvantage is that you really have to hold it up to your eye to see what you are doing. After a while you get used to it. When ordering from Sealux you can get a port installed for a external monitor. Every function of the camera is controllable with the remote buttons. I have taken the housing down to 200 FSW with no issues.

Edited by nino.ten, 05 January 2013 - 01:08 PM.