4 replies to this topic

#1 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:47 AM

Hello all:

First of all I have decided I finally needed to get my own login to wetpixel. I was previously posting under my wifes account tyanea.

We went to Anilao in March and wanted to show you my first video I have put together. As Anilao is primarily a macro destination, and the fact that I only had wide angle lenses available, it made it a little challenging for a beginner. But I think I came out with some decent footage. I used a Canon 5d mark ii, with mostly a 15mm fisheye, with a little bit of footage with the 17-40mm. I also used the magic filters in about half of the footage as well.

If you have time, have a look. Being a beginner, I am open to suggestions of how to get better. (shorter clips, better white balance, holding still....etc) Please feel free to share your thoughts.

[vimeohd]24906633[/vimeohd]

Here is the link in case the embedded code doesn't work
Anilao HD video

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

Well done for the first time.
I would concentrate first on keeping the shots steady then mess around with the other stuff.
Colour correction, exposure can easily be fixed up on the computer to a certain point but a wonky video cannot without loosing quality.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

great base skills to start from there...

I mirror Wagsy's words about stability (it's generally one of the most important characteristics of u/w videos than can either make, or break a shot)

Love the 1st tune - what is it?

#4 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for the replies.
As far as the stability goes, I Think part of my problem was the fact that my rig is not weighted properly. The dome port wants to float up, while the back goes down. I think that if I can get that a little better, it will help with the stability. I just dont know how to do it yet. Do you think this will help?

Waterworks, the first tune is actually 2 songs that kind of blend together. It is angels and airwaves. The album is I-empire. The songs are "star of bethlehem" and "true love".

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#5 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:57 PM

Thanks for the replies.
As far as the stability goes, I Think part of my problem was the fact that my rig is not weighted properly. The dome port wants to float up, while the back goes down. I think that if I can get that a little better, it will help with the stability. I just dont know how to do it yet. Do you think this will help?

Waterworks, the first tune is actually 2 songs that kind of blend together. It is angels and airwaves. The album is I-empire. The songs are "star of bethlehem" and "true love".

Thanks for the headsup on the music...

RE bouyancy - there should be some posts in here regarding exactly that topic... I can't think of many pro shooters out there who haven't adapted their rig in one way or another, in order to help their shoot. A slightly negative bouyancy is nice for sitting in the hands - but not so great if you drop it (use a lanyard if you're not already :) )