11 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen H.

Stephen H.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

Hello Experienced Travelers,

I am planning a trip to Indonesia and am looking for some recommendations. It is a tight trip logistically, but I am traveling alone and can handle a slightly 'crazy' schedule.

I will be diving (11 day liveaboard, Komodo) until Sept. 1st and will fly back to Denpasar on that day. What I was planning on doing is transferring to Tulamben on the 1st and diving the 2nd and 3rd in Tulamben. I would leave on the morning of the 4th and have the 4th, 5th, and 6th as land touring days. I fly out of Denpasar at mid-afternoon on the 7th.

Thoughts?

I am looking for recommendations on diving Tulamben: who to dive with and where to stay. I have heard nothing but good things about Scuba Seraya and have sent them an email. The Euro exchange rate makes the cost of Scuba Seraya...less-than-appealing at the moment. Does anyone have other recommendations? If Scuba Seraya will indeed allow me to get the most out of my 2 days of diving at Tulamben, well, then that may be the deciding factor. I don't need somewhere "5-star" to stay; just somewhere that the camera/dive gear will be safe and that has good critter spotting divemasters.

The other recommendation I need:

Where to go and where to stay on land for the last 3 days. I was thinking of staying in Ubud for 2 nights and doing some temple seeing from there; spending the last day doing some souvenir shopping. Is Ubud the best place to do this sightseeing from?

Recommendation's on places to stay in Denpasar? I will be staying the first night after some long and tiring traveling and the last night after some equally hectic sightseeing.

I know the timeline is tight and it all may not be possible, but I am traveling alone and want to get the most out of my time in Bali!

Cheers, and thanks for any recommendations you can make.

Steve
Steve, www.holinskiphoto.smugmug.com
Canon G10, S&S YS110a, Inon UCL165

#2 dirtydave

dirtydave

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

I would stay at Liberty Dive resort, very good accomodations, guides etc. they can take you to all the good dive spots in the Tulamben area. For private guides contact Bali Dive Tours.com I have used both of these companies for years and made 100+ dives with them. You won't regret it!

#3 os65

os65

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

I stayed at Liberty Dive Resort for couple of weeks in March (www.libertydiveresort.com/) (www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g469406-d1788685-Reviews-Liberty_Dive_Resort-Tulamben_Bali.html). Good value for money, personal diveguides, good location etc.

#4 eyu

eyu

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:55 AM

A inexpensive place to stay in Tulamben is Paradise, it is on the beach/ocean a short walk from the liberty wreck and is reasonably priced. I paid under $50/night for a room. Look at: [url="http://www.aquamarin...lm_Beach.html"]
Aqua marine is a local agent who have set up my Bali dive trips and they do an excellent job.

Elmer

Edited by eyu, 13 June 2011 - 05:33 AM.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#5 SteveGL

SteveGL

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

I've just come back from 10 days diving around Seraya and Tulumben.

I stayed at Scuba Seraya and had a great time. Very professional outfit.

Tulumben Wreck Divers is a place that many aussies go to. It's very basic but also very good. A step up in quality is Mimpi Resort, which is right on the beachfront at Tulumben. (This would be my choice if staying at Tulumben)

Tausch Terminal is right on the beachfront also and is very popular with German divers.

You'll have a great time.

Edited by SteveGL, 14 June 2011 - 03:11 PM.

Kind regards, SteveGL

#6 eyu

eyu

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:57 AM

I have stayed at the Mimpi and the Paradise in Tulamben. They are next to each other on the beach a short distance from the Liberty Wreck. The Mimpi is upscale with bungalows with private ponds, endless pool over looking the ocean and good dinning. When I travel with my wife I stay at the Mempi at $200/night and when I am alone or with the boys I stay at Paradise at $50/night. I use aqua marine in Bali to arrange my hotels, diving, dive guides and transportation, they have been great and have provided excellent service on all my visits.

Tulamben has wonderful diving, enjoy.
I always hire a private dive guide, it is well worth it, having your own guide to find the critters increases your hit rate for good photos.

Elmer

Edited by eyu, 15 June 2011 - 04:11 AM.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#7 Mooseman1007

Mooseman1007

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:12 AM

I stayed at Scuba Seraya last September and really couldnt recommend Alit, Nyoman and the rest of the guys higher. House reef is excellent and only a 5-10min boat ride to the Liberty wreck (much easier entry from boat !). Price isnt bad at all, despite the Euro rate, and is a good step up from the most basic hostels ! Either way enjoy Tulamben.....everyone else does !!!
Mooseman

#8 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:30 PM

I have stayed with Tulamben Wreck Drivers and found Tony and Wayan run a really professional outfit and can highly recommend them. They have budget (but comfortable) accommodation through to luxury at their villias. I stayed in their 'Delux' room for about US$25 a night and it was comfortable - but it was the diving I was ther for and enjoyed it.

Just a thought - Sep can be a popular period and all accomodation books out very early so you may need to book ASAP.

Karl
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!

#9 Stephen H.

Stephen H.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

Thanks all for your replies. I made a reservation with Liberty Dive Resort for the time I am there!

I am definitely excited for the trip and will be sure to write up a report with photos when I get back.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Steve
Steve, www.holinskiphoto.smugmug.com
Canon G10, S&S YS110a, Inon UCL165

#10 AndyC

AndyC

Wolf Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:21 AM

I stayed at Liberty Dive Resort for couple of weeks in March (www.libertydiveresort.com/) (www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g469406-d1788685-Reviews-Liberty_Dive_Resort-Tulamben_Bali.html). Good value for money, personal diveguides, good location etc.

Thanks for link to this resort!
We were looking for ideas for a trip this November. But had a fairly tight budget, with other things planned, so we didn't expect to get much further than the Red Sea. We got an amazing deal from the people at Liberty Dive resort. So flights are booked and we'll be there for 10 days in November.
Anybody been there in November? I understand its the rainy season? If so did it have much affect on the diving etc.

Cheers,
Andy.

#11 dirtydave

dirtydave

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:36 AM

Novmber is great time,fewer tourists, very good visibility, lots of macro opportunities, better hotel rates. See above recommendation for hotel. I use Bali Dive tours to find critters, aewsome service. They found Harlequins for me last week in Ahmed when everyone said they couldn't be found ( and they couldn't at Seraya). They can arrangehotel etc if you want. I have a trip booked to Secret Bay to see Manderin fish, can't wait.

#12 AndyC

AndyC

Wolf Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:36 AM

Novmber is great time,fewer tourists, very good visibility, lots of macro opportunities, better hotel rates. See above recommendation for hotel. I use Bali Dive tours to find critters, aewsome service. They found Harlequins for me last week in Ahmed when everyone said they couldn't be found ( and they couldn't at Seraya). They can arrangehotel etc if you want. I have a trip booked to Secret Bay to see Manderin fish, can't wait.

Thanks Dave, can't wait!