11 replies to this topic

#1 gtp1013

gtp1013

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Running, lifting, design, ergonomics, usability, diving, sharks

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

One of my white shark images from Guadalupe showed up much to my surprise on the nationally televised CBS Early Show. The image was not one of my better ones, and I think it's actually a screen-cap from some video I shot at Guadalupe years ago. I had used the image on my blog sometime last year, and TinEye doesn't reveal any other instances of the image elsewhere on the web, so I'm guessing somebody just pulled it from my blog. The image is the white shark image shown over the anchor's shoulder in the right-corner when the story initially starts.

http://www.cbsnews.c...ch/?id=7215678n

I'm not a pro-shooter, so it's not like I'm losing out on anything by CBS using my image, but I was a bit surprised to see it there, considering the resources that a major tv network should have. I would have been happy to provide CBS with some much better white shark images for free (with a photo credit), if only somebody had asked.

Edited by gtp1013, 12 June 2011 - 01:36 PM.

#2 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

There may be another use of your photo.

Did you enter it in a contest on Photobucket? If not, someone has entered it as their photo (judging from their photostream, it is not theirs). It can be found in this contest;

http://photobucket.com/contests It is on page two int the Best Sea Creatures contest.

Scroll around and you will find it. I hope you didn't enter it as I called it out. Ooops?

Edited by AllisonFinch, 16 June 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#3 twinner

twinner

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

If your sure it's your image I would contact CBS and send them a bill. You need to be paid for your work even if you don't conceder yourself a pro.
The problem is a lot of these images look the same and if the guy in the cage next to you submits his image it's sometimes even harder to see a difference.
I don't doubt that it's yours I would just double check.
Todd Winner
www.toddwinner.com

#4 gtp1013

gtp1013

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

If your sure it's your image I would contact CBS and send them a bill. You need to be paid for your work even if you don't conceder yourself a pro.
The problem is a lot of these images look the same and if the guy in the cage next to you submits his image it's sometimes even harder to see a difference.
I don't doubt that it's yours I would just double check.

Posted Image

I did several comparisons with the photo and and screen-caps from the CBS vid. As you can see in the above comparison, there is a mackerel scad tail in the exact same spot on the left side of the photo, the shark is in the same position, lighting is identical. It seems the image might have been additionally processed, but I'm fairly certain it's the same image. I've even done overlay in PS with the original image on a layer and the screencap below and modified the opacity for comparison's sake. There is even a particle of "scatter" above the tail of the mackerel scad that shows up in the exact same spot in both images when viewed at full-size.

Screencast of image comparison in PhotoShop.

Edited by gtp1013, 20 June 2011 - 10:55 AM.

#5 gtp1013

gtp1013

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

There may be another use of your photo.

Did you enter it in a contest on Photobucket? If not, someone has entered it as their photo (judging from their photostream, it is not theirs). It can be found in this contest;

http://photobucket.com/contests It is on page two int the Best Sea Creatures contest.

Scroll around and you will find it. I hope you didn't enter it as I called it out. Ooops?

I've never entered any Photobucket contests, but I didn't see my photo in there (although, I didn't look at every single picture). The white shark photo that appears in the top-15 of that contest is the same one that was added to the Creative Commons by somebody who didn't actually take it. However, that photo is not mine.

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post.

Edited by gtp1013, 20 June 2011 - 10:06 AM.

#6 twinner

twinner

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

Looks like the same photo to me. For pricing I usually check the Getty and Alamy sites.
Todd Winner
www.toddwinner.com

#7 straz

straz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:43 AM

oh great ....
enter to photobucket contest

#8 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:59 AM

What were the rules of the photobucket contest? Did you forfeit your copyright to enter?

#9 gtp1013

gtp1013

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

I've never entered any Photobucket contests

Just to clarify, as I said above, I did NOT ever enter the photo into any Photobucket contest (or any other contest for that matter). The only place that I had ever posted the photo prior to the CBS usage was to a post on one of my own websites (http://www.thedorsal...-hours-to-days/). The only other time that I have posted the photo since is in these comparison photos.

Edited by gtp1013, 01 July 2011 - 01:48 PM.

#10 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

any further developments on this issue?

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#11 gtp1013

gtp1013

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

any further developments on this issue?

No. I never took any action on the matter.

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

I think you should've. It's wrong of CBS to do that.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.