• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Don Silcock

Don Silcock

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

While I was in Bali in January I dived the Japanese wreck at Banyuning near Amed several times.

The wreck is the "other" shipwreck in north-east Bali and although it plays second fiddle to the Liberty wreck at nearby Tulamben, is an excellent dive and well worth making the fairly short journey to Amed if you are staying in the Tulamben area. The wreck is located in shallow water, just off the beach in Lipah Bay near the small village of Banyuning, which places it close to Gili Selang where the forces of the Indonesian Throughflow are at their most powerful.

Very little is known about the wreck and how it ended up sank at Banyuning – or even if it really was a Japanese ship.

In fact the only indication I could find about its heritage is that the nearly intact Asian style toilet found on the wreck made somebody in the past think that the ship must have been from Japan…

I have updated my site with a new location page for the Japanese Wreck.

The page includes a description of the wreck itself and the nearby reef and there are image galleries of both, plus how to get there and when to dive the wreck.

Don

Bali_11_Jan_Ahmed_D03_138_med.jpg
Don Silcock
Underwater Site: www.indopacificimages.com/
Travel Site: www.nomadicpixel.com/

#2 sasdasdaf

sasdasdaf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Tech, wreck, cave, reef, photography

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

This looks interesting. I had not heard about this wreck. btw I checked out your website - it is a great resource for divers visiting those areas that you write about. Very detailed and informative. Thanks for the labor of love!

Nikon D7100, Nauticam NA-D7100, Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes
http://sasdasdaf.blogspot.com/

#3 Mooseman1007

Mooseman1007

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:17 AM

Loved the site when I did it last year with the guys from Scuba Seraya. The hull is covered in critters and keep an eye out for a pygmy seahorse on one of the gorgonians @12-14m !
Wish I was there now
Mooseman