• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 AengusM

AengusM

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

I'm so excited about this lens, I really hope it lives up to expectations and I'm loving the short focus and the price is lower than I expected (although of course lower would be even better).

So any Aquatica users seen it or touched it...any idea's which zoom ring or extension (5DII in my case)?

I'm hearing July for production units, delayed due to Tsunami affected supply chain, anyone know more on availability?

Cheers,

Aengus

#2 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

correct ... still none to be had, not even a sample down here.

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#3 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:01 AM

Hi Aengus, I did have the lens on hand if only for the briefest of moment at the DEMA show last year, Chuck, the technical rep, from Canon, who also is an Aquatica 5D Mk II shooter :) , brought the lens over to our booth, and we set it up in a 5D Mk II housing, so I know it fits, I know we will support it (duh! Like this needed to be confirmed :good: ), what I don’t have right now are the spec’s for the zoom gear and the optical center position so we can dial in the closest extension, for this I will need a physical lens in the shop (Canon and Nikon are very hush, hush about specifications other than the overall external dimension). Rest assured, this lens is on the priority list as it will become a serious asset to anyone shooting full framed Canon camera underwater.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#4 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

.....as it will become a serious asset to anyone shooting full framed Canon camera underwater.

and cropped sensor shooters too right?

while it will end up giving a narrower angle of view, it will still offer the advantages of a fisheye behind the dome on the 1.3x and 1.6x Canons.

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#5 AengusM

AengusM

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:51 PM

Looks like the 8-15 is finally starting to ship all be it limited stock :-)

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

Hopefully Canon will let me have one in Sept for a review. I think this lens is more for the crop sensors because @ 10mm, the 1.6x crop isn't really 180° diagonal. So this is Canon's answer to the 10-17. With the focus @ 0.16m vs the 10-17's 0.14m, I'm wondering if it'll work with the mini-domes.
Darren, the 1.3x crop will finally have a 180° fisheye look vs the old cropped look. This'll make the 1D4 a very viable underwater camera. With the Sigma 12-24 (equivalent to 16-30), 8-15, the WA is taken care of. So imagine 10fps @ 16mp. Although I only know of 2 strobes which can keep up with that with decent power.
As for full framers, those with non-removable dome shades will have to get rid of the shades to use anything below 12mm. But at least now FF users can capture the full Snell's window look.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hopefully Canon will let me have one in Sept for a review.

Good luck getting one! I have been champing at the bit for one since the announcement last year, pre-ordered one at one dealer and got on a waiting list at another. I was able to find one by googling first!

So have begun my testing during actual shoots since the salmon spawning season is well underway. I have actually missed using this lens on two early (stronger sun) runs already. The days are already noticeably shorter, winter is coming.

First question and therefore "test" is what port extension to use. I want to be able to use a superdome, have gotten great shots with the Nikon 10.5mm with one.

One wants to minimize port shading so I tried a 25mm port extension on a Mk1 (stubby metal shade version) Seacam superdome Friday. No vignetting but the corners are not as good as I would want. One provides some scale (me). I was testing to make sure the rig would fire. I used a single Inon Z . Was hoping for strong ambient light. This is a "treehenge" site. I hoped the sun would shine but clouds came by at the wrong time so had to settle for cloudy lighting (second shot).

Attached Images

• _G7G0008.jpg
  • _G7G0081.jpg

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#8 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

Day 2, I tried a 30mm port extension, which is what Harold is recommending for the FE port. The corners are better but there is noticeable vignetting. Shot at 15mm and f/8 as were the previous days shots.

Attached Images

• _G7G0534.jpg

Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

#9 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

Day 2 continued. I heard some serious splashing downstream, where it is quite shallow. Though really too shallow for a superdome I relocated there anyway. This is a cropped image, a semi-finished keeper (for now) product. Taken shortly before midnight last night. The strobe, one Inon Z, was running out of juice so I decided to hang it up for the day. As well, given that there were at least 6 males and 2 females competing for this spot, a spawning seemed unlikely in the immediate future. Also f/8. The little fish are coastal cutthroat trout. Salmon species is pink salmon, a.k.a. humpback salmon, a.k.a. humpy.

Attached Images

• _G7G0735.jpg

Edited by Tom_Kline, 14 August 2011 - 03:14 PM.

Oceanography & Limnology

#10 AengusM

AengusM

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for those Tom.
Have you used a zoom ring and if so which one?
Cheers,
Aengus

#11 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

Is it likely that this lens will be useable with a 100mm mini-dome (with an extension ring of course)? Or is there something about the optics that makes that a bad idea? I realize that using a big dome should result in better quality images; just wondering if the small dome might work, e.g., for CFWA.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#12 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Aengus,
I have a ring on order. FYI, the front element moves in and out on zooming, the lens is longest at the focal length extremes.

Bruce,
The minimum working distance is about 1 inch so it should be able to focus on a very close virtual image.
Lens shades have been one of the major issues impeding using mini-domes with certain fisheye lenses. This will not be a problem since the shade comes off.

According to the lens manual the image becomes smaller as one focuses closer, which is the case when used under water in a housing with a dome port and very much so with a mini-dome. I am not sure what this will mean for us. Vignetting may be more critical.

Edited by Tom_Kline, 15 August 2011 - 10:41 PM.

Oceanography & Limnology

#13 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:55 AM

... FYI, the front element moves in and out on zooming, the lens is longest at the focal length extremes.

That would suggest that with a mini-dome, you'd almost need to choose a focal length for the dive, and "set it and forget it". Which, considering the lack of zoom gear availablility at this point, is what we'd need to do anyway...for the time being.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#14 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:58 AM

Aengus,
I have a ring on order. FYI, the front element moves in and out on zooming, the lens is longest at the focal length extremes.

Bruce,
The minimum working distance is about 1 inch so it should be able to focus on a very close virtual image.
Lens shades have been one of the major issues impeding using mini-domes with certain fisheye lenses. This will not be a problem since the shade comes off.

According to the lens manual the image becomes smaller as one focuses closer, which is the case when used under water in a housing with a dome port and very much so with a mini-dome. I am not sure what this will mean for us. Vignetting may be more critical.

The MWD is 1" but the MFD is 16cm. The 10-17, which most of those little domes were designed for has a mfd of 0.14. The other issue is when using FF, does the dome have to use a shadeless dome, at less than 14mm?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#15 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:22 AM

What advantages are there of this lens over the 10-17? Particularly at almost 3x the price.

Edited by loftus, 16 August 2011 - 10:30 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#16 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

Jeff, for Canon with the 1.6x crop, the 10-17 isn't really 180°. The 8-15 is a tad wider.
For the FF crowd, the 8-15 gives the circular FE look. That plus the supposed L glass quality improvement.

Drew

#17 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:01 AM

OK; just wish SOMEONE would make a FF 10-17 equivalent already, can't say I'd have much use for circular fisheye on my FF.
Interestingly in Isla Mujeres I tried the Sigma 15mm and 1.4TC as well as my 16-35, and found that the 16-35 seemed a tad wider which was not expected.

Edited by loftus, 16 August 2011 - 11:04 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#18 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

If anyone is continental US my local camera store in Ohio (EST) got one in yesterday.......Super nice build and focus.

Contact Eric Fisher at Campus Camera & Imaging. No sales tax for out of state sales.

330-678-1297

coachfish99@hotmail.com

www.campuscamera.net

Shot on cropped sensor Canon 60D at 8mm, 12mm and 15mm

IMG_0149.jpg IMG_0150.jpg IMG_0151.jpg
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#19 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

OK; just wish SOMEONE would make a FF 10-17 equivalent already, can't say I'd have much use for circular fisheye on my FF.
Interestingly in Isla Mujeres I tried the Sigma 15mm and 1.4TC as well as my 16-35, and found that the 16-35 seemed a tad wider which was not expected.

Try the 12-24 Sigma II... it's an awesome lens. Struggles underwater though with the corners because of the dome issues. but blue water looks great blur or in focus! :)

Drew

#20 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

Here is a shot with the Mk2 (plastic shade) Seacam superdome and 30mm port extension. No vignetting

Attached Images

• _G7G0951.jpg

Oceanography & Limnology