9 replies to this topic

#1 tri4funnow

tri4funnow

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:critters

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

Lytro announced production of a light field camera...it captures all light and focus in the entire depth of field every time you take a photo. Freak'n cool.

http://www.lytro.com/

Definitely would love to see someone partner with them to make a housing for launch day.

I have no connection with the company...just thought it was super cool and took a break from lurking here for a day.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3057 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

Looks like Eric and Jason have been busy.

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

the power of the third-party endorsement .. without Eric's name there I would be putting that down as an April fools day joke! very cool!

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#4 Bruce Zavon

Bruce Zavon

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

OMG will this work underwater? Sign me up.

#5 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

There's a photo shoot that's been linked from DPreview...with a photographer credit to an Eric Cheng...

http://oh-so-coco.tu...om/tagged/Lytro

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#6 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

They just had a press conference today and released initial details at least.

http://www.engadget....htfield-camera/

Wonder if Eric was there.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

They just had a press conference today and released initial details at least.

http://www.engadget....htfield-camera/

Wonder if Eric was there.

Nope, he was here for a similar demo:
http://allthingsd.co...at-asiad-video/

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#8 cheetohcat

cheetohcat

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:scuba, travel, photography, health/nutrition/fitness, sewing, shooting

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have one on pre-order and am scheduled for the Feb/March shipping window....we are supposedly going to be notified 1-2 weeks before it actually ships. Has there been any more news on UW housings for the Lytro? Haven't been able to find any new news...
Sony Nex 5n, Recsea housing/ports, 2x strobes, ring flash, Sola 600, BTS tray, UCLS arms

#9 cheetohcat

cheetohcat

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:scuba, travel, photography, health/nutrition/fitness, sewing, shooting

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

Got my 8 GB Lytro last week, and have been running around shooting random people/objects with it. Pretty cool technology, and it's been a lot of fun looking for opportunities to create more interesting photos with depth. The camera itself feels very solid and well made.

I'm definitely curious what it could do underwater, thought it does require a lot of light.

Lytro Sample photos
Sony Nex 5n, Recsea housing/ports, 2x strobes, ring flash, Sola 600, BTS tray, UCLS arms

#10 sideshow_Gary

sideshow_Gary

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

from what i can see on the Lytro website, it they have the rights of the image you put on there, they can :

We do not claim ownership of your living pictures; they are yours. To enable us to operate Lytro.com and provide its services and functionality, with respect to content that you submit to Lytro.com you grant us a non-exclusive, fully-paid, royalty-free, worldwide, sublicensable and transferable license to:

Copy, store, display, and distribute such content;
Modify and create derivative works of such content by using our light field picture player or another player approved by us. We may allow our users and visitors to create other modifications or derivative works and print your content for their personal use;
Transmit copies of such content to, and embed such content on, other websites;
Display the Lytro trademark with such content; and
Display and feature in public areas of Lytro.com, at our discretion, certain of your public living pictures selected by us.

and i gather you can view the pictures on your computer or tablet but it has to be connected to the internet (presumably only via there website). or you can just keep the image on your camera..

Im not so contract savvy and am really excited about the Lytro camera and for only $400 too thats awesome, but its a b it vague, about quality and rights.. but im certainly looking forward to some 'cracked versions and for what the future holds.. in fact the future is here,

im so excited i peed a little bit more in my wetsuit than usual