• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AndyScuba

AndyScuba

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:09 AM

From what I understand the only difference for the Light & Motion Bluefin OLED (Pro) and Standard for the Canon is the OLED display.

Is the OLED monitor that much different that the standard monitor?

Is it worth the additional $1000.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 monitors?

Thanks

#2 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

From what I understand the only difference for the Light & Motion Bluefin OLED (Pro) and Standard for the Canon is the OLED display.

Is the OLED monitor that much different that the standard monitor?

Is it worth the additional $1000.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 monitors?

Thanks

The OLED monitor is brighter, uses less power and can be viewed from a wider range of angles. I enjoy using it.

Is that alone worth $1,000? Hard to say. If you expect to to do a lot of macro work with the housing held in hard-to-get-places at unusual angles, yes. If always held in front of your nose, maybe not.

I bought the Bluefin Pro for the Sony CX550 but that was also because of manual dial which let's you control things like exposure. Not sure if that dial works for the Canon camcorders.

Regards
Peter

#3 uwxplorer

uwxplorer

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

I bought the Bluefin Pro for the Sony CX550 but that was also because of manual dial which let's you control things like exposure. Not sure if that dial works for the Canon camcorders.

And the color, don't forget the color!
Sorry, I could not help it...
Actually, nobody can understand that joke anymore, since both housings are black. Oh, well.
This being said, for what it is worth, I am using the previous incarnation of the "Standard" Bluefin (used to be called the Stingray G2+ a few months back...and was gray), and I am perfectly fine with the LCD. My feeling is that behind a thick piece of glass (mask), a foot of water and limited light, you can't figure out the details on a 3.2" OLED or a 2.7" LCD screen anyhow. But I may be wrong... :-)
I would in retrospect agree with Peter that the hydrophone might improve things, as the metal housing does damp sound a lot.
Manual controls are accessible via the left handle on both housings, but that's maybe not an option on the Canons?

#4 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:02 PM

I have the sony SR12/bluefin housing with the standard monitor back & it is quite fine for me. I havn't compared it to an OLED version though so i can't really compare but the standard works just fine.
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

#5 johnny boy

johnny boy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, U/W video,

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

I've had both. yes the OLED is much better. viewing angle is the main improvement. i was viewing from quite an oblique angle the other day and i could see perfectly. the advantage this gives comes into play countless times during filming that you get so used to it, if it were taken away you'd miss it. i have the canon bluefin for HFS10 and the manual dial operates exposure/focus/etc....