• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fjellklatrer

Fjellklatrer

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

I am going to False Bay, South Africa in a couple weeks and I will be cage diving one of the days while I am there. I was wondering what type of equipment I should bring to get some decent photos. I will not be doing any other diving and I want to take only what is absolutely necessary. What I have is a Canon G10 in an Ikelite house, a wide-angle conversion dome, and 2 strobes. Do I need the wide angle conversion dome or the strobes? Thanks for any help.

#2 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

I am going to False Bay, South Africa in a couple weeks and I will be cage diving one of the days while I am there. I was wondering what type of equipment I should bring to get some decent photos. I will not be doing any other diving and I want to take only what is absolutely necessary. What I have is a Canon G10 in an Ikelite house, a wide-angle conversion dome, and 2 strobes. Do I need the wide angle conversion dome or the strobes? Thanks for any help.

I am doing the same off of Guadalupe in Mexico in August. So, am investigating myself. I guess I have to post my own query as I have a D300. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula
http://www.facebook....8...64&ref=name

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2284 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

You should ask the guides what type of range you can typically expect the sharks at.

I found the 12-24 on a D100 to be the best lens. Gives you a little range and still goes wide if they come right up to the cage.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

Been to S. Africa for the whites and Guadalupe a few times. Conditions between the two are very different. The water in S. Africa can have very little visibility and tends to be on the greenish side while Guadalupe usually has around 60-70ft vis. In both places, a dry suit is needed including hood and gloves.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 nitrosoxide

nitrosoxide

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:33 PM

No doubt you'll be doing a few dives so i'd be using the wide angle on some and without wide angle on the second. You probably already know but make sure you have macro mode turned on when you use the wide angle dome otherwise you're G10 won't focus correctly. Also make sure you have Servo AF on and AF Mode continuous for those big boys. Hope you'll post some pics here when you get back :huh: Oh and yes take your strobes, you might get away with one strobe, but I wouldn't want to get there and wish you had the second

#6 UMpg

UMpg

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Marine Science

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:26 AM

Did a cage dive in SA last year, used my tokina 10-17, and it worked well for me. Clearly you don't have that option though. I would shoot wide, because the viz usually is not great, and your best shots will be when the shark is close anyways (due to the viz). As for strobes, leave them home! A. there's no room in the cage for strobes, and B. again, the viz isn't good, and you'll get major backscatter, especially since there's no room in the cage to make the arms go wide. If you try to use strobes, you'll probably make enemies pretty quick (as you hit somebody in the head with a strobe).
there was a very good article in Underwater Photography magazine on white shark cage diving (from australia, but it still applies).
some of my pictures can be seen here if intested (shows the conditions you may encounter)
http://overunderphot...004914403_B8ZW9

#7 Fjellklatrer

Fjellklatrer

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the tips. I just got back. For anyone planning a similar trip, wide angle and without strobes is the way to go. The skipper of the boat uses a 5D2 or 7D (can't remember which) and a 15mm fisheye.

Edited by Fjellklatrer, 14 July 2011 - 11:20 AM.