Photo
- - - - -

Rajah Ampat in August? - I have to decide quickly...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:22 AM

Hi folks,

could not plan this year's holiday as early as normal, but now I know it will be August.

I have the chance to book a resort-based Rajah Ampat trip for my wife and me. (Live-aboard is absolutely NO option this year). I have to make a decision very quickly.

Here is my question: Do we better go somewhere else instead in August? Seems, from what I found out by a short google-search, that it is the end of rainy season, and there may be some very heavy winds. Has anybody been actually there in August? They say that diving is year-round, but my wife will probably not dive, so good top-site conditions would be nice.

I know, weather is not predicatble nowadays, but if we have a 95% chance for bad weather, we would go somewhere else. In the end, it is an expensive trip. Any infs highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jock

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#2 bonnieJackson

bonnieJackson

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:28 AM

Hi Jock,

been there in August 2009,December 2008 and April 2010! going back this September 2011 :rolleyes:
dampier strait and north area of raja Ampat is ok, good all year round.
Misool area in south raja ampat is not possible because of the strong current.

for rainy season it's tropical country, right in the equator..so rainfall is likely even..you will still get blue sky after rain.

I'll send you some info via pm see for more details.

you should take chance, it's a amazing place, great diving and good food in Indonesia!!!

#3 leonandclaudia

leonandclaudia

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:50 AM

We've been living in the Raja Ampat for almost 3 years now, and August is just fine, some fairly strong winds at times, but less rain, and the water is more clear (better viz), but less mantas... Misool in the South is closed during this time since it has no protection from the South-East winds. Some of the resorts in the Central/Northern areas are nicely protected from any wind, and is open year round. You have to book quickly though, as they tend to fill up quickly at the last minute.

Edited by leonandclaudia, 24 June 2011 - 12:54 AM.

#4 bonnieJackson

bonnieJackson

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:42 AM

My favorite area is the north of Raja Ampat, absolutely unique.
I look forward to go there, maybe dive with Claudia and Leon :rolleyes:

see you guys soon

#5 eudon

eudon

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:02 PM

I just got back from diving Raja Ampat last week. Was on Pulau Pef (raja4divers) with Claudia and Leon.
Trip report and pics shortly, but in short - it was awesome. The resort and the diving was fantastic.

Being that close to "The Passage" was definately a big plus. Did multiple dives there - couldnt get enough. Truly unique.

If you have some folk with you that arent diving - then there is snorkleing , kayaking, hike up the cliff for great views, birds of paradise side trip, fireflies at night, WiFi .... etc. Options not usually available on a Raja liveaboard.