• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:05 AM

Is there a simple solution for a rotating axis o-ring sealed "gland" that could be suitable for a DIY project?

I need to have a potentiometer-axis sealed though the lid of a Otterbox in order to make a knob adjustable on the outside. Is this at all feasible in a DIY-project?

Cheers
O

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1458 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:03 AM

Is there a simple solution for a rotating axis o-ring sealed "gland" that could be suitable for a DIY project?

I need to have a potentiometer-axis sealed though the lid of a Otterbox in order to make a knob adjustable on the outside. Is this at all feasible in a DIY-project?

Cheers
O

Aren't most of the controls on a DSLR housing rotating in that same sense. I think the biggest issue is controlling the diameter of the hole in plastic to be both smooth enough and constant diameter. Put a groove on the shaft with an o-ring and you should be good to go. I might use two o-rings though.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 casbba

casbba

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:16 AM

There are usually a few old Ikelite SLR housings going cheap on eBay and most of them have up to a half dozen glands fitted. Could you drill a hole and tap a thread into your Otterbox and use one of these?

#4 aboshoff

aboshoff

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:4x4

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:40 AM

Mr Bantin , posted such a plumbing fixture here before . Search his post.