10 replies to this topic

#1 gavinparsons

gavinparsons

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:sharks, cetaceans and anything unusual

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:36 AM

I'm trying to get an easy to use/make infrared or radio trigger to fire my Nikon D2x. I want to photograph trout in a shallow stream and being in the water isn't an option as they shoot off. So I want to place the camera in the water and wait for the fish to come back and fire the camera remotely. I've tried one of those radio triggers you can get off ebay and it didn't work over a great distance I think the metal housing blocks the signal too much.

Has anyone tried this sort of photography before and have any ideas?

Thanks

Gavin
Gavin Parsons
Photojournalist
BDMLR Director
All round nice bloke

#2 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

Getting IR or RF through water or the housing is going to be a problem.

Suggest you re wire a sync port socket and use an external switch to trigger the shutter.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#3 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

I want to build a motion sensor that triggers the camera underwater. ;)
Just received the PIR sensors and will try them soon underwater.
Will post the results.

Edited by owfotograaf, 05 July 2011 - 12:32 PM.

#4 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

I'm trying to get an easy to use/make infrared or radio trigger to fire my Nikon D2x. I want to photograph trout in a shallow stream and being in the water isn't an option as they shoot off. So I want to place the camera in the water and wait for the fish to come back and fire the camera remotely. I've tried one of those radio triggers you can get off ebay and it didn't work over a great distance I think the metal housing blocks the signal too much.

Has anyone tried this sort of photography before and have any ideas?

Thanks

Gavin

I use a Pocket Wizard wired to the 10 pin remote socket or the pc socket of the camera (dending is I want to trigger the camera from a distance or studio strobes from the side of a pool from the camera, it's housed in a palstic Fantasea SB800 flash housing and I get a decent working distance out of them.

I use an extra Nikonos Bulkhead as the entry point and inside I can either plug the 10 pins remote cord or a pc cord on it, externally I either plug the Pocket Wizard or our remote trigger You can use the Ikelite 15" extension along with a regular Ike to Nikonos cord to get about 20ft worth of waterproofed working distance.

Passing through metal or water as Paul said is a tough one for those small radio slave, they are not really powerful to begin with, that's why I got the pocket wizard, they are reliably able to carry a signal for long way, all the time.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#5 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:08 AM

I want to build a motion sensor that triggers the camera underwater. :huh:
Just received the PIR sensors and will try them soon underwater.
Will post the results.

As expect they don't work underwater :D

pir2.jpg pir1.jpg

#6 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:51 AM

Try looking into this site http://www.cognisys-...7d1f06c384fb779 I have been using this (top side) for a while now and have experimented with replacing the light emmiter with laser pointer and even with standard LED flashlight (like the real El Cheapo kind) and the light trap works, I figure with a laser pointer you might be able to get it to work underwater.

You can use an Aquarium to test without having to submerge anything, based on the principle that both the laser pointer and the IR receiver would need to be housed anyway, just place each one at opposite end of the Aquarium and you will have the same results. If it works, you could actually push it to the X cross type light trap like we use for birds and insects

http://www.cognisys-...7d1f06c384fb779

and I have a couple of those really inexpensive kits yet to be assembled from them as well http://www.hiviz.com/kits/lat.htm

http://www.hiviz.com/kits/cbp.htm

Water_Drop__03.jpg

Water_drop__02.jpg

water_drop.jpg

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#7 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

I've lusted after this guy's device for awhile. Since he's incorporated a laser receiver into the main device, I'd imagine if you could get a blue-green laser 'housed' to be waterproof, you'd have your trigger. (Red HeNe lasers of course would absorb over way too short a distance.)

http://www.doc-diy.n...hoto/smatrig21/

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#8 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:28 AM

Thanks for the info guys.
grtz, H

#9 AYahoo

AYahoo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

I know it is an old post, but if you are still interested, I came across this site - http://www.aquatica....s_dslr_a2x.html, and he sells uw remote for D2x.

#10 libthemermaid

libthemermaid

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hey, this isn't really related, but I just signed up and I'm not allowed to start a new topic yet. I'm buying a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX1 Digital Camera and I want to buy a remote system for them. I have been looking at http://www.amazon.co...55505933&sr=1-1, which the net has suggested to go with that camera, but I'm concerned it won't be compatible. PLEASE can someone help me? Thank you, say I hopefully. :D

#11 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

I don't think this remote will work with this camera

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca