• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1772 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

As posted on the front page the Bahamas is on the process of enacting legislation that will protect it's sharks from commercial exploitation.

Pew environmental group has reported today that this legislation has now been signed into law, and is further reaching than was expected.

"Sharks in The Bahamas can breathe more easily after the nation’s government announced today that all commercial shark fishing in the approximately 630,000 square kilometers (243,244 square miles) of the country’s waters is now prohibited."

This is great news for sharks and shows just how forward thinking the Bahamian government is being in it's environmental policies.

I think I am going to have at least one beer to celebrate!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#2 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

;) Yes, worth celebrating! Especially for a place that draws so many divers to its shores to see its sharks!

http://green.blogs.n...-shark-fishing/ "While the country banned long-line fishing gear 20 years ago in another boon to shark populations, said Eric Carey, executive director of the Bahamas National Trust, ‘‘there were no specific laws in the Bahamas for sharks, the crown jewels of ocean health.’’
Help End the slaugther of Dolphins in Taiji! Petition Site
G9, UN macro lens (MIA in Buyat Bay), no strobe. My Dive Blog

#3 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

Yes indeed FANTASTIC news!!!!
Go Bahamas!

#4 dspphoto

dspphoto

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Dachshunds, Snowboarding, warm water, travel.

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

I like this trend. Honduras made a similar declaration a week or two back also. I had a chance to shoot a captive nurse shark release with the Honduran president in conjunction with their announcement. Now it comes down to policing I guess.

http://www.danopendy...ters-photos.php

Dano
"If you're going through hell,keep going." - Winston Churchill

danopendygrasse.com