Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED and OSx 10.6

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:06 AM

My Nikon Coolscan 5000 has been happily scanning away on OSx10.6 until today, when it stopped saving files.
So I look into it only to discover Nikon say OSx10.6 isn't supported, and won't be. "Sorry about that, hope you don't mind". Scumbags.

Anyway, LaserSoft do SilverFast scanner software for the Coolscan 5000/ OSx10.6 combo for GBP350... yes three hundred and fifty pounds... Ouch!

Anyone got any other solution?

darren

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#2 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:29 AM

Have a look at Vuescan:

http://www.hamrick.com/

I was in a similar position with my old Coolscan IV. Nikon don't supply a driver for the Coolscan IV for Vista or Windows 7 but Vuescan do. I've since gone on to use the scanner with Silverfast but still use the driver that came with Vuescan as Silverfast don't supply a driver with their software.

Edited by Gudge, 13 July 2011 - 04:07 AM.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#3 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

Have a look at Vuescan:

http://www.hamrick.com/

I was in a similar position with my old Coolscan IV. Nikon don't supply a driver for the Coolscan IV for Vista or Windows 7 but Vuescan do. I've since gone on to use the scanner with Silverfast but still use the driver that came with Vuescan as Silverfast don't supply a driver with their software.

thanks Gudge, sorry i'd missed your post 'til now.
I found Vuescan and have it running. Seems to work fine and will be ok for current needs, but was not as impressed as I was with the demo of SilverFast (or with the nikonscan software for that matter).

I'd say I'll keep using Vuescan until I need better quality.

Is the quality or interface why you went to SilverFast?

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#4 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 531 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

Is the quality or interface why you went to SilverFast?

A bit of both, I like the interface and workflow better and I think the results are slightly better. Fortunately for me, there are less feature rich versions of Silverfast for the Coolscan IV. I went with Silverfast SE Plus (Multi-Exposure) which only cost AUD$104. Here's a comparison of the various versions:

http://www.silverfas...parison/en.html
Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#5 andyt2989

andyt2989

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

My Nikon Coolscan 5000 has been happily scanning away on OSx10.6 until today, when it stopped saving files.
So I look into it only to discover Nikon say OSx10.6 isn't supported, and won't be. "Sorry about that, hope you don't mind". Scumbags.

Anyway, LaserSoft do SilverFast scanner software for the Coolscan 5000/ OSx10.6 combo for GBP350... yes three hundred and fifty pounds... Ouch!

Anyone got any other solution?

darren

Recently had a similar issue, I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would post my solution anyway since it might be of interest to others.

I dug out my old Cannoscan 4000FS and discovered that the photoshop plugin needed to use it will not run with OSX 10.7. The solution turned out to simple - I installed Virtual Box (which is a free virtual machine) loaded an old copy of windows and photoshop with the required plugin and now I am up and scanning with my mac. The same approach should work for any old hardware that is not supported by the latest OS.

Andy