7 replies to this topic

#1 JvA

JvA

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:08 AM

Hey everyone,

I've recently created my first short film, together with my friend and fellow photographer Nate Dappen:
Cold-blooded Cannibals

The reason I'm sharing this, besides hoping you'll like it, is it features some underwater footage that we shot on a Canon 5D MkII inside a Subal housing for the old Canon 5D. It fits quite well actually, most of the controls work. Of course there's no live-view button...

Getting an old Subal housing for your 5D MkII is obviously not a good idea, but considering the previous discussion on having the CD5 modified for the MkII, I figured it might be of interest to some of you.

Joris

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1770 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:34 AM

Hi all,

Joris's excellent video is embedded below:

[vimeohd]24918263[/vimeohd]

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 JvA

JvA

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:24 AM

Thank you Adam, I didn't realize it was possible to embed.

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

Some beautiful lizard shots and angles. Well done. I did notice that the audio panned to the right at one point and there was some stutter here and there. Maybe that was due to the encode process. Loved the lizard shot backlit by the setting sun. Beautiful color in that.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 JvA

JvA

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

Some beautiful lizard shots and angles. Well done. I did notice that the audio panned to the right at one point and there was some stutter here and there. Maybe that was due to the encode process. Loved the lizard shot backlit by the setting sun. Beautiful color in that.
Steve

Steve, thank you.

Could you explain what you mean by "the audio panned to the right"? Do you mean stutter in the audio or in the video? In terms of video I now understand that some of the jerkiness was due to the shutter speed being too high, and I'm sure we could use a better tripod head as well.

My background is in biology and still photography, so video and especially audio are still a little foreign to me!

Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback.

Edited by JvA, 20 July 2011 - 02:34 PM.

#6 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

:)
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#7 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

JVA,
Actually enjoyed it even more the 2nd time around. You asked about the audio glitches so I went through it and here is what I found:
at :18 there is a brief dropout of audio when you narrate 'or perish'
at 1:42-1:58 Though throughout, your narration is sent to both left and right channels, at 1:42 it shifts to the right channel only. This happens again at 1:47 with 'and defecating seeds'
at 2:22 a slight shift in volume here and at 2:56

Just stunning footage, great depth of field shots
Great film
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#8 JvA

JvA

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

Thanks a lot Steve, your feedback is helpful and I'm glad you enjoyed it!