• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

Normally I'd start with some underwater pics but I just checked my topside folder and decided the following sequence is probably the most exciting natural predation and fight I've seen:

SRPSI201109.jpg
2 gannets fight over a mackerel. They use a mexican standoff technique
where both hold the fish underwater until one lets go!

SRPSI201110.jpg
But the young juvenile gannet (the colored one of the left) sees something
the battling gannets don't see... the tell tale dorsal fin of trouble...

SRPSI201111.jpg
So the young one proves to be smart and exits stage up up and away!

SRPSI201112.jpg
SNAP!!! The shark gets into the melee and fights for the mackerel! However it unwitting
knocked the other gannet off mackerel....

SRPSI201113.jpg
..Freeing the gannet which maintained a tight grip on the mackerel to make a run for it!

SRPSI201114.jpg
But the shark still wants the fish so a second tussle ensues!

SRPSI201115.jpg
The gannet has the advantage of high ground and pulls the fish out of the water...

SRPSI201116.jpg
But loses its balance and drops back into the water... right on the shark!

SRPSI201117.jpg
Amazingly, it manages to wrestle away from the shark...

SRPSI201118.jpg
...and enjoys the spoils of this battle of the fittest!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

Hi Drew,
Interesting !!! Thanks for sharing !!
Can't wait for the underwater part !!!

Edmond

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

Well it would've been awesome to have an overunder of this activity. Next year with a 24" dome!!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:56 AM

Well it would've been awesome to have an overunder of this activity. Next year with a 24" dome!!

Hey Drew

Gripping stuff. Now I understood why you asked about a 24" dome. I will try and make one.

Got space next year?

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#5 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:28 AM

What a great sequence! Thanks for posting those, Drew.

-Gina

#6 allan

allan

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:45 AM

Very exciting and excellent comentary.

Allan

#7 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

Unreal!
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:50 PM

A couple more from that CF card:

SRPSI201103.jpg
This is not a lover's embrace while war is happening!

SRPSI201105.jpg
Definitely not loving play!

Got space next year?

Ah Cheungy, for you always a maybe! :)
We'll talk!

Drew

#9 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:00 AM

Where are all the underwater action shots Drew. I would have thought that since this is an underwater photography forum then it would be good to upload a few of them to show us.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:50 AM

Stew, the underwater pics would come in the underwater section of the gallery. This is the topside section and thus apropos. And that'll come when I bother to get to them later in the month. A few guys have already posted theirs from this year. You should do a search in the uw gallery for them.

Drew

#11 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1772 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:24 AM

Hey Drew,

These are fantastic! What a great series!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#12 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

Stew, the underwater pics would come in the underwater section of the gallery. This is the topside section and thus apropos. And that'll come when I bother to get to them later in the month. A few guys have already posted theirs from this year. You should do a search in the uw gallery for them.

Yes I know that Drew. I know that you might think that I am thick, but I can assure you that I am not. I was just asking where all of the underwater shots are. I know where the underwater gallery is, as I post my images in there often, you should take a look at my postings someday. Basically I was just enquiring as to the where about's of your below surface shots. And now reading your reply, I guess you have not " bothered " to get in the water yet to take any photos.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

#13 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

Yes I know that Drew. I know that you might think that I am thick, but I can assure you that I am not. I was just asking where all of the underwater shots are. I know where the underwater gallery is, as I post my images in there often, you should take a look at my postings someday. Basically I was just enquiring as to the where about's of your below surface shots. And now reading your reply, I guess you have not " bothered " to get in the water yet to take any photos.

Stew

I'm with you Stew....where are the pics Drew? :huh: :B):
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#14 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

Wow! I'm touched that I have at least 2 fans for my uw pics.:B): Still, I'll post when I finish up the trip report. Sorry to disappoint my 2(only) biggest fans! :huh:
Mike, weren't you with Amos in Port Edward? I remember you were selling some spots in the Trp section. How was the action from there? The sardines were thick in the south Natal coast this year.

Drew

#15 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

Come on Drew, you know the story of the Snow Petrel and that we ended up at Aliwal Shoal with no action...don't you? Maybe your just rubbing it in? :B):

When were the sardines thick in Natal?

Looking forward to your UW pics so I can dream about next year.

Wow! I'm touched that I have at least 2 fans for my uw pics.:huh: Still, I'll post when I finish up the trip report. Sorry to disappoint my 2(only) biggest fans! :)
Mike, weren't you with Amos in Port Edward? I remember you were selling some spots in the Trp section. How was the action from there? The sardines were thick in the south Natal coast this year.

Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#16 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

Welll, I've heard so many different stories about the snow petrel that I didn't really pay any more attention. First it's in dock, then Ivan says it's running then every one were in aliwal. Then someone said you guys were running to Port Edward. LOL.
I'm sorry you had to go through that but seeing how the seas were unrelentingly big for a few weeks, it may be a blessing in disguise.
They've been netting in the South Coast for the last 2 weeks. They just netted @ Pennington yesterday. But alas the big bad weather continues so I'm not getting anything up here.

Drew

#17 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:24 AM

Wow! I'm touched that I have at least 2 fans for my uw pics.:B): Still, I'll post when I finish up the trip report. Sorry to disappoint my 2(only) biggest fans! :huh:

Drew I am certainly not a fan of yours, your statement could not be further from the truth. I was just hoping to see some action photos from someone who always has so much to say. I was hoping that your images might prove that you can walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

Stew

#18 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

At least he gets responses ... Good or bad ;) I've had 180+ views and one comment!!! :)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk