• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wwalker

wwalker

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:25 AM

I'm new to underwater photography. I have a friend who gave me a deal on a New Gates HMR10 POV Housing. It was expensive and I'm wondering if it's too hardcore for my needs. I'm just starting to snorkel and get comfortable in the water, trying to build up confidence and working towards diving some time soon.

Should I just hold on to the housing until I get good at diving or should I just try to sell the housing and buy another one when I'm a capable diver?

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1533 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:41 AM

I'm new to underwater photography. I have a friend who gave me a deal on a New Gates HMR10 POV Housing. It was expensive and I'm wondering if it's too hardcore for my needs. I'm just starting to snorkel and get comfortable in the water, trying to build up confidence and working towards diving some time soon.

Should I just hold on to the housing until I get good at diving or should I just try to sell the housing and buy another one when I'm a capable diver?

It is a bit of a very specialized gear. My advice for what it is worth is sell it and get a small P&S in a small housing to see if you will like it.

Diving is hard and before you get all into expensive gear, get your diving skills in order (on the order of at least 50 dives) and take some snaps while you are at it. Upgrade later if you get the bug. My $0.02
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net