3 replies to this topic

#1 pershing

pershing

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:17 AM

Hello:

Its been a while. Need some advice/help guys. I have an S90 on a FIX enclosure. I paired it with a reefnet subsee +10 lense and an Inon Z-240. The tray is an optics planet handles and aluminum tray with UL arms. Here are my main problems so far.

1) The thing is not ergonomic, seems no matter how I grab it or reconfigure the arms/handles its always giving me pain. Specially reaching the trigger while holding all the metal. Any of you guys got a tray/arm setup thats working? Thinking of going to 2 strobes but having issues with 1, can imagine with 2.

2) For macro shots using the subsee lense. Its tunneling a bit, which requires me to zoom in to correct. But the more I zoom the further away I have to be from the subject to get in focus. Is that something specific to this camera or is it the lense? Loosing sharpness and light because of this corrective action. Somewhere I read this camera is not too macro friendly.

3) Night dives, because Im adding a focus light to the hot shoe Im forced to go to either side with the strobe. Seems I get a lot of half faces when I do that. Did not try going on top, but other than adding a second strobe (look at item 1) what else can I do.

Thanks...

- Pershing

#2 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

@ Pershing

That is like mine but I am using Inon 100 WAL and ULCS tray handle. Mmm let me think?

Reason I got the ULCS flat tray was the housing could be adjusted left or right. So my left finger rests on front dial control while wrapped around the ULCS handle. My right hand is directly on shutter and rear dial control. On the right side outboard of my hand is a flat Underwate Kinetics flashlight older (very old). I believe you can get a tray extension that allow for a second handler or other attachement to mount a second strobe?

In the UK holder is a Dive Rite small flashlight (the one that has adjustable light output). That leave the cold shoe open for a movie light or macro focus light.

Not a macro shooter, so can't help there.

#3 pershing

pershing

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback Leepix. I have tried the double tray with 2 handles. What I have found is that its uncomfortable to grip on the right and trigger the shutter. So what I attempted last time was to move the camera all the way to the right and grab the actual camera. On the left have a handle and arms with the one strobe. The hotshoe I use for the focus light at night. Do you have a pic of your setup? Thanks...

- Pershing

#4 JohnSu

JohnSu

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

For macro shots using the subsee lense. Its tunneling a bit, which requires me to zoom in to correct. But the more I zoom the further away I have to be from the subject to get in focus. Is that something specific to this camera or is it the lense? Loosing sharpness and light because of this corrective action. Somewhere I read this camera is not too macro friendly.

It is not a lens problem.

The S90 and S95 (I have both) are VERY bad at macro (someone once sent me a detailed tech email explaining why..something to do with the fast lens etc.)

I use two +5 F.I.T lenses, and they help quite a bit, But I am still not able to actually fill my frame with a small subject (by zooming in) and getting a focus (either manual or auto).

I have learned to compromise by getting as close as possible and cropping heavily (with surprisingly acceptable results),

But, I do not recommend this camera to my buddies, and I'm now looking for a replacement (hopefully an EVIL), because after two years of trial and error I've decided that I enjoy MACRO the most.