• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 laz217

laz217

Salty Pirate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:30 PM

This little guy was less than 1/4-inch long, bright yellow and moved by wiggling its whole body frantically in all directions. I photographed it while doing my safety stop... Any ideas?
Lazaro Ruda
Soap box: TheLivingSea.com

#2 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 16 January 2004 - 05:28 AM

i believe it is dirt

uuuuuuur um, this critter ID is getting way to hard for me ... im gonna have to go do a BSc in Marine Bilogoy just to keep posting in these forums.

:D :D :o
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8390 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 05:50 AM

It is a larval fish. It is unusual for larvae to be pigmented, usually they are pretty much translucent. It doesn't have any major distinctive features so hard to ID any further.

When I was doing long night dives for coral spawning in September the water was full of fish larvae and post larvae. While waiting for the coral to go off I watched a group of about 10 post-larval surgeonfish settle.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 laz217

laz217

Salty Pirate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:47 PM

Come on, Alex! I threw you an easy one. I thought for sure you'd know this one... It's no other than the post-larval stage of a whale shark.. Can't you see the resemblance?.. No, neither can I.

:D

I think the critter's pigmentation was what truly caught my eye. Where as mostly everything I photograph in The Plankton Zone (15ft) is translucent, this little critter was a very bright yellow color. If I ever see one again I will attempt to get a better (closer) photograph.
Lazaro Ruda
Soap box: TheLivingSea.com