• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'll see you in London at the end of March?

Yes, looking forward to it.

Actually this was actually pretty fast to process - now I've learned how. The batching just took a couple of minutes to set up (a bit longer to run) and then assembling the sequence once I was working with low res (1920 pixel) jogs only took a minute or so (on my main computer).

On the newer cameras I will do topside time-lapse in camera - but I think I will do UW ones as JPGs - so I can adjust colours in post using software I know, rather than software I don't. Although with increasing video capabilities in Lightroom and PS - I may not.

All that said - I feel the opportunities for time-lapse are fairly sparse (unless it is your total focus). And I wouldn't waste my precious dive time on it unless I had a second camera. (I don't know how much you have to dive until dive time doesn't feel precious).

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#22 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Great! looking forward to a decent pint for a change :)
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#23 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:05 AM

Alex- Nice clip. If you want to stick a bunch of stills together to make a timelapse, then pan or zoom in it, or even make any ramped changes to exposure or whatever, there is a nice addition to Lightroom called LRTimelapse, which is free. Took me a little while to get my head round it, but once you do it's very powerful. I've been used it to stick together 3D timelapses (which adds another level of complication!), but only above water so far.

LR Timelapse

Cheers,

Fergus
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#24 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:17 AM

Thanks Fergus. No point with this one - but I like the idea of using all the resolution for something useful like panning and zooming.

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#25 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

I think GoPros make outstanding time lapse cameras.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#26 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1768 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:01 AM

On a related note-does anyone have any ideas on how to get an NEX-5n to shoot timelapse? I know you can use an intervalometer, but that ain't going to work in a housing!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#27 influid

influid

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:02 AM

Hi,

interesting timelapse discussion! Everyone probably seen it already but the Brinicle timelapse from BBC is always a marvel to watch.

For timelapse, I usually prepare and export my frames to JPEGs from Lightroom, in a numbered sequence. Then, I import the files in After Effects or Premiere.

In the import window, select your first image and check the "JPEG sequence" mark (lower left corner). It will be imported as footage into your project. Since it's imported from multiples files as a video, software must give the sequence a specific value of frames per seconds. If you drop this footage on your timeline, it will automatically create a composition with the same size as your images. No matter the framerate of the sequence, it will be imported with the same time length as showned in the property inspector of the footage in the project panel. In order to change your footage's framerate, right click on the image sequence in your project panel and select "Īnterpret Footage > Main". Change the value named "Assume this frame rate" to your needs and click OK. You'll notice the time length of the sequence has changed accordingly. You can duplicate the sequence as much as you want to experiment different settings.

The Lightroom plug-in sounds really nice. Is the deflicker efficient ?

For a custom intervalometer, I found this Arduino Canon Intervalometer webpage. Pretty advanced but I'd still be curious to know if it can be customized for underwater.

Francois

#28 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

does anyone have any experience with underwater timelapse with a dslr? I was thinking of doing some soon with the d7000 but the only problem is that it only takes up to 999 photos which wont be enough for what i want to do.

I thought i could maybe just go and reset the timer over and over a couple of times, but just wanted to hear if anyone else had any better ideas, maybe taking apart an intervelometer and fitting it inside a housing somewhere?

If you want more then 999 .... a prototype but it works fine!

http://wetpixel.com/...amp;hl=infrared

IRled.jpg

#29 influid

influid

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:41 AM

Nicely done! That's one tiny unit.

The 4 DIP switches trigger the Infrared LED, 3 for the timings (5, 10, 20) and 1 on/off, that's right ?

Are these pages the Canon's version of the Nikon's protocol you used ?
http://www.doc-diy.n.../eos_ir_remote/
http://www.doc-diy.n...to/rc-1_hacked/

Is there enough info to be started ? I know close to nothing in electronics but a friend of mine does and could give a hand.
(A bit more just in case: http://www.arduino.c...um=1198744543/3

Also, the Gentles are very small units: http://www.gentles.l...led/trigger.htm
I send an email for enquiry.

Finally, is the infrared led directly facing the infrared receptor in your setup or can it be on the other side ? The biggest space I can find in the Aquatica 5D housing is on the lower left, underneath the camera on the left of the plate.

In any case, thanks for pointing in the right direction!

#30 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

The 4 DIP switches trigger the Infrared LED, 3 for the timings (5, 10, 20) and 1 on/off, that's right ?
Finally, is the infrared led directly facing the infrared receptor in your setup or can it be on the other side ? The biggest space I can find in the Aquatica 5D housing is on the lower left, underneath the camera on the left of the plate.

It is possible to make 23 timings with the dip switches ... so one for on/off :(
The timing off the bursts must be exact!

With my D80 the unit was placed at the back shell and the back off the IR receiver.
You have to try this out. Good luck!

#31 influid

influid

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:28 AM

It is possible to make 23 timings with the dip switches ... so one for on/off :lol:
The timing off the bursts must be exact!

With my D80 the unit was placed at the back shell and the back off the IR receiver.
You have to try this out. Good luck!

Cheers! However, I'm not sure to understand regarding the timing of the bursts. Do you mean the IR protocol ?

Additionally, here's GentLED feedback:

=============================================

This is tricky. You can remove the black plastic housing, that reduces the size to 38x24x13mm, but that excludes the toggle switch that sticks out. See the jpg I attach, you can see the shape is not square so that may help?

Posted Image

Note that the IR light comes out of the top side and this must point to the IR sensor on the camera. It needs to be within 5cm and doesnt need to be straight towards it. For a small charge we could make one without box and with IR LED on short wire so you can lead it nearer camera sensor? This is a little fragile but once installed in housing it may be good Does this help?
James

=============================================

In the Aquatica housing, the largest space I can figure is underneath the camera on the left. But the toggle switch might stick out too much from the back of the camera against the housing's lip. Maybe a replacement with a push switch is enough.
With the IRled pointing from the left front underneath the camera, the 5D sensor might catch the signal.. Otherwise, I asked for a quote with a short wired IRled and if the wired IRled can be easily replaced.

Standard unit is currently 30 pounds so it's worth a try.

#32 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Here's another method for assembling time lapse sequences into a movie: http://www.macprovid...final-cut-pro-x - at least if you already have FCP X.

I found it very easy and with FCP X you can do "Ken Burns" style panning and zooming. I was blown away by the time lapse sequences in Frozen Planet, especially when they included panning. At the time I'd assumed they had the camera on a rig to move it but now I expect they panned within the captured images. Either way, it still looks cool.

#33 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

This is some of my test footage from Cayman (low res), just to test the technical side of shooting and putting together time lapses - it is not in any way interesting.

This sequence was taken as individual frames (different rates on each clip). I shot 700 and 600 frames for the two sequences - although what is shown here is only about 180 frames each. I changed the files to sRGB, cropped them to 1920x1080 using a batch process in Bridge and then used free software - Time Lapse Assembler - to stick them together. I then used iMovie to join the (least boring bits) of the two sequences and upload to vimeo.

[vimeo]36091475[/vimeo]

I just left my camera wedged in position shooting these - while I went off and shot macro with my other system. It was a 1400 photo dive!

Alex

Alex,
What was your interval setting?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#34 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

Hi Steve,

One clip was a 2 secs between shots, the other at 3 secs.

Alex

#35 DigiSnap Mark

DigiSnap Mark

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, electronics

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thought you folks might be interested... I've decided to offer as a standard product, an underwater time-lapse camera system.  Just announced it today!

https://www.harbortr...cts/Hydrolapse/