• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

I have an Aquatica 8" Dome with Shade. Anyway, I looking for a case to put it in to put inside of my checked bag. I'm looking for something light weight and padded. Like a Pelican Type case. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Kirk

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

I use tupperware with t-shirts as padding for all my ports, then into a hard case covered with wetsuit or some other neoprene. That's when it's not on my back. I always fly with everything I need to shoot when I go, but check it in when I return usually.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

Another vote for "tupperware". My 8" Subal with shade in its original bubble wrap fits perfectly inside a 12.7 cup/3 liter Rubbermaid that I bought at a CVS drug store.

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#4 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

Yep, a tupperware cake box, with the spare space taken up with a few t-shirts. To find the right size, just take your dome to a kitchen/hardware shop.

I now have a mini dome to come in the cabin baggage, so can carry a full WA and macro set in the cabin.
Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110

#5 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1769 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

Hi all,

Sea & Sea make a zip up case for 8" domes.

B&H list it here:

I have one and it fits my Subal 8" dome perfectly. My dome normally travels in my hold luggage. It is more expensive that a cake tin though!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:21 PM

Another vote for tupperware. I've used this box for years and years . Flying from the UK we're often restricted on cabin/carry-on baggage and this has done many, many flights in the hold.

cake.jpg

This is for one of my Subal domes.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#7 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:12 AM

Tupperware and Bubblewrap are two of the unsung heroes of underwater photography.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#8 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:38 AM

Tupperware and Bubblewrap are two of the unsung heroes of underwater photography.

And gaffer tape, for just about anything, including taping down the lid on a tupperware box stuffed full of dome and bubble wrap
Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110

#9 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:47 AM

And gaffer tape

Absolutely - unfortunately my last half roll is still on the last dive boat ......
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#10 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

Great idea, thanks. My cam gear is always on my back or in the carry on but the Tupperware idea provides extra protection without adding real weight.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.