• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

Canon and Sony were always going to come crash the party Red created. It was a matter of time. Canon came in first because they have no upper end video to protect. Plus having 4k is part of the bigger picture with Sony and their 4k TV. So they will jump in big next year.

I agree it's getting crowded and that's only good for the buyers. 4k is the new HD variance so we'll see how the market unfolds. Scarlet and the 1DC are similar except Scarlet is upgradeable to the Dragon sensor, one of the big things about Red. But then again Canon/Sony will have the workhorse reliability vs the overheating batteries/beta software of Red.

Red will always have a following because of the ability to upgrade sensors, something the big boys won't do in their design because they need the volume.

Dragon sensor upgrade 6K res. for 6K spondoolies
15+ stops
120 fps @5K

Obsolescence obsolete :P

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#22 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

I'm launching my new 480i production today. Content is king :)

Edited by Nick Hope, 16 April 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#23 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

You can't fault his argument:

www.eoshd.com/content/7919/a-canon-video-camera-for-the-rest-of-us-outside-hollywood

Actually his treatise is somewhat flawed. Canon doesn't want the market he's talking about. It's already quite saturated with Pana and Sony. It's also more profitable to have a cine line as a prestige marquee. The FS100/700 fill the niche he wants. Remember the original scarlet was meant to be what he wanted and it wasn't tenable. I'd rather see 1080p/60 though. At least Sony recognizes 60p as important.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#24 blaisedouros

blaisedouros

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

The FS100/700 fill the niche he wants.

With Sony E-mount lenses? I haven't shot with them, so I can't judge personally. However, I certainly don't hear anyone raving about how great that glass is...

I think another likely contributing factor to the conspicuous absence of a Canon entry to the prosumer space is that Canon is likely cautious of robbing their current booming DSLR sales to the prosumer video shooter market. Right now you can buy a great still camera that also does a pretty darn good job of shooting video...but what happens when you split that market by making a video camera that does it better for the same price?

#25 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

The E mount lenses are ok. But there are adapters so that the α, EF and Nikkor lenses can be used as well.

The market is already over-saturated in the $3-8k range prosumer camera range. Red tried to break that market wide open and couldn't do it. BMCC is trying to do it with a S16/M4/3 sensor, and will become a niche player for lit/ good light scenes, unless the noise performance breaks new frontiers for m4/3 sensors.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#26 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

With Sony E-mount lenses? I haven't shot with them, so I can't judge personally. However, I certainly don't hear anyone raving about how great that glass is...

Some of the Sony E-mount lenses are actually not bad. Here's what Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8 can do wide open on a older camera without in-camera CA reduction. Both the 24mm Zeiss and the 50mm f1.8 are very hard to get right now since Sony cannot keep up with demands.

The difference between E-mount and the traditional dSLR lenses is that the E-mount autofocus motors and protocol are engineered from the ground up to handle both stills and videos while the traditional dSLR lenses are only designed with still photography in mind. Once the video record button is pushed, the E-mount AF becomes smooth and steady to avoid the frantic pace still lenses behave. For the A-mount, the new 16-50 f2.8 is also a still/video lens and the reviews have been pretty positive also and with the LA-EA2 A-mount adapter should give FS700, 100 phase-detection video autofocus similar to this.

Yes, with 3rd-party adapters, pretty much all lenses from Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, Leica... etc. can be used as manual-focus alternatives.

Edited by A.Y., 17 April 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#27 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

http://www.learn.usa...l?categoryId=22

4k MJPEG is 500 Mbps! Throwing out my UDMA6 cards now! :)

Drew

#28 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

Here's the Ticket by Po Chan and DP Shane Hurlbut:

http://www.hurlbutvi...-canons-4k-1dc/

Drew