#1 esetterf

esetterf

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography<br />Scuba diving<br />Mountain biking

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:49 AM

Hi,

As some of you are already aware I am looking at the Canon 60D and 7D and one of the things that I have noticed is that the 60D now uses the SD card rather than compact flash.

One of the main reasons of leaning towards the 60D was the memory card being SD, but not sure if this is the best option. I have always been happy with the compact flash in my 20D.

As the 20D was a good camera at the time I am a bit worried that the 60D would not be as big a jump as the 7D, and even though my photos don't deserve a professional camera at present because of the total outlay I would like something that I can grow with.

Happy to hear anybody's thoughts regarding the two types of memory.

#2 wizbowes

wizbowes

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

One of the main reasons of leaning towards the 60D was the memory card being SD, but not sure if this is the best option. I have always been happy with the compact flash in my 20D.

Deciding to buy a camera based on the memory format is like deciding which computer to buy based on their power cords. (Unless you already have a large investment in one type of storage card - but even then you can buy a silly amount of storage for the price of a coupe of beers). Make you decision based on any other factor and just go with the flow of the memory cards would be my advice.

#3 tie

tie

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

SD cards are nicer, since they are smaller and most laptops have built-in SD card readers these days, but it hardly matters very much.

#4 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

I would get whichever camera you like the most. i wouldn't worry that it is compact flash vs SD. I have been using SD cards for years. And if you end up going with the camera that has SD cards, no big deal. Memory is relatively inexpensive than what it has been in the past.

Kirk

#5 esetterf

esetterf

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography<br />Scuba diving<br />Mountain biking

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:47 AM

Thanks guys for your views.

I probably have an equal amount of cards both SD and compact flash so will check out both cameras.

It's all exciting stuff :)