Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 02:11 AM

I use :

twin SS400 for wide angle

and

twin SS50 for macro

Sometimes supplement with SS100a, it is also a backup spare.

BUT, others have told me same power causes flat light.

To me just angle the light, diffuse one light or change power settings, turn one off. All this will causes "nice" soft shadows and highlights.

I prefer same power because sometimes I want to highlight left side more than right, or reverse, or top - bottom...

SAME POWER is my preference, also less screw ups. Many times I forget which side is my SS100a (only one of those in my equipment list) is on but snapped that shot already. I guess it is a matter of getting used to it.

#22 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 07:29 PM

Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#23 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 07:35 PM

If you use two of the same strobes at the same settings and same distance you will get flat lighting which may be what your want or not. But you can change the settings or distance of the strobe to subject to create any lighting situation you want if your strobes art the same. If they are different you have to compensate for this difference to achieve the effect you want. It adds an unecessary complication. I use to use two ss50s for my macro and wish I had never bought two Sea and Sea 90s. Not that the 90 isn't a good strobe. It just has no advantage over the ss50 and cost more.

My Website

#24 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 12:20 AM

thanks for all of the advice, guys!

I think I'm going to get the housing, a couple of DS-125 strobes and head over to Backscatter to see what they can do for me. :)

Ike says the DS-125 is within 1/2 stop of the Substrobe 200, but... well, I can't stand the thought of not having matching strobes, and I didn't want two 200s. :)

I'll post some pics when I get the setup. Who knows when it will be, though?
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#25 David

David

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 01:06 AM

I recently asked if I could get the DS-125 in Singapore, I was told only available in USA for now.

Eagerly waiting for your results.

#26 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 03:22 PM

echeng

Did you get you 125s? If so how do you like them?

#27 sean

sean

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 09:36 AM

I'm preparing to order a UK housing for my D60, and as I already have a 550EX I was just planning on housing it (quite a bit cheaper than buying the big Ike strobes). Anything wrong with that? Is it a question of flash power?

One thing I've taken advantage of on land is that the 550EX can fire 3x/second for at least 5 shots in a row -- can any of the dedicated u/w strobes do this?

#28 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 03:22 AM

I'm kinda surprised to hear all the concerns about unmatched strobes. Many pros use strobes of different power, or strobes of the same power with a diffuser over one - essentially creating a power/color gradient. Any underwater course will teach you that flat lighting is undesirable. We use the second flash for fill only, so it is set to a lower power. Different strobes might make control a little more subjective, but certainly attainable. The only real downside I see would be at those times that you reverse primary and secondary strobes to cast shadows in the opposite direction. This might become difficult, but only impacts a few images in my experience. I use a pair of YS-120s, but would happily switch out one of my 120s for a 200 with more range and coverage. I wouldn't want to carry the bulk of two of these behemoths, however.

Kasey
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#29 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 05:39 PM

Well, if you want 2 200s I will sell them to you. I replaced them with DS125s which are much nicer. Do every thing the 200 did and seem to weight much less. With carpal tunnel this is very important to me. I never used that extra power on the 200. I like the faster recycle time on the 125. This comes from a guy that would have told you the 200 was the best strobe ever made. I use them for macro and every thing.

My Website

#30 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 03:08 AM

Boy Dave, you really called me on that one. Time to put my money where my mouth is you might say:o I'm really not that familiar with the 200s and how it will work with my setup. Drop me an e-mail and we'll talk. The point I was trying to make towards the forum was just that I think that the differential in strobe power is not a terrible thing.
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com