• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 textilet

textilet

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

@bintang2009 - the first close-up shot (a pleurobranchaea californica ) was from about 3 -4 inches away. Keep in mind that is not exactly a small subject at around 12 inches long. The baby octopus was about 1 foot away. The sea hare shot has a strange distortion to it visible off center to the left of the frame. I think this has something to do with the subject being closer to the camera on the left side and passing out of the shallower depth of field that seems to appear when shooting close up at 1/60 shutter. The in focus part of the sea hare was also about a foot away. If anyone has successfully mated an external macro diopter to this set up I'd love to see some film of that.

#22 Bintang2009

Bintang2009

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:37 AM

@bintang2009 - the first close-up shot (a pleurobranchaea californica ) was from about 3 -4 inches away. Keep in mind that is not exactly a small subject at around 12 inches long. The baby octopus was about 1 foot away. The sea hare shot has a strange distortion to it visible off center to the left of the frame. I think this has something to do with the subject being closer to the camera on the left side and passing out of the shallower depth of field that seems to appear when shooting close up at 1/60 shutter. The in focus part of the sea hare was also about a foot away. If anyone has successfully mated an external macro diopter to this set up I'd love to see some film of that.

Many thanks for those informations. I have just ordered a Canon HF G10 and a bluefinpro Oled plus wet mate 65. I expect to receive them by end of January. I have also investigated in macro lenses and my choice is going to http://www.backscatt.../js-mmfbf.lasso . During last november I was in Lembeh (indonesia) and i met australian photographer using this, that looks very good, and i intend to use it with the flat port. Let me received the items and i will make a video test. May be for end of february.
Merry christmas and happy new year

Edited by Bintang2009, 24 December 2011 - 03:41 AM.

#23 SWink

SWink

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

I too have a Bluefin Pro with Canon HFG10 but I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get the one-touch white balance to work properly.
Any tips?
My Video: Canon HF G10, Bluefin Pro housing, Fathom 90 WA/Flat Port, 2 x Sola 2000 Lights
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/swinkworth

#24 wydeangle

wydeangle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

I too have a Bluefin Pro with Canon HFG10 but I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get the one-touch white balance to work properly.
Any tips?

Here's a reply I put into the XA10 thread:

The underwater white balance function on my L&M housed XA10 is in fact a TWO-BUTTON function.

First, one of the UP/DOWN keys on the LEFT handle needs to be pressed to assure the FUNC rectangle (AKA box) is HIGHLIGHTED/SELECTED. Usually it is the UP arrow.

Then the WHITE BALANCE button on the RIGHT handle can be pressed. Manual white balancing is then completed.

If you press the white balance button when the FUNC rectangle is NOT HIGHLIGHTED, you will be treated to a wonderful display of blinking and jumping around from place to place on the screen, resulting in who knows what? The built-in macro has executed some other sequence, likely having nothing to do with white balance.

When (if?) this happens you will need to execute the original procedure of HIGHLIGHTING the FUNC rectangle and hope that nothing else has come adrift while you were taken on this random ride. To do this after an inadvertent white balance macro execution, it is sometimes necessary to use the ARROW KEYS and the ENTER button on the left handle to get the FUNC box properly highlighted.

Maybe I don't read so good. Maybe this is explained in the instruction given for the housing and I missed/misinterpreted it. I don't recall. I do remember asking Paul if this was really a TWO-BUTTON function, and having him reply in a way that convinced me that the above procedure is correct. HIGHLIGHT FIRST, WHITE BALANCE SECOND. The only time you can WHITE BALANCE first is if the FUNC box is already HIGHLIGHTED.

This isn't a complaint! It took several dives for me to figure this out. It would have been convenient to know this sooner.

Knowing how to do that now, it's a non-issue. I hope it saves someone some frustration.

It should work the same with the HF-G10.

Enjoy,

Tom

#25 SWink

SWink

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

Here's a reply I put into the XA10 thread:

It should work the same with the HF-G10.

Enjoy,

Tom

Thanks Tom but when I do this the macro stops at the set white balance screen and doesn't proceed any further. I then have to press ENTER to set the white balance then ARROW to X and press ENTER to return.
Unfortunately on alternate attempts it does not return to the main screen so you have to repeat the process to get back to the main screen.
It's actually quicker to just do it via the menus and you only need one hand leaving the other free to position the white card.
I'm begining to think that I may have an icorrectly programmed handle.
My Video: Canon HF G10, Bluefin Pro housing, Fathom 90 WA/Flat Port, 2 x Sola 2000 Lights

#26 wydeangle

wydeangle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

OK - here's one more thing to try. I did this with my XA10; your results may vary :D

Buried under the Cable Routing section of my L&M instructions tome </sarcasm off> is the following note:

If Right handle controls are malfunctioning, or white balance button is not selecting the correct menu item:
- Check to ensure the LCD screen is facing outward.
- Review instructions for white balance setup.
- Hold down Tele + Wide buttons for 3 secs to change handle programming. Handles contain three programs for separate cameras; this operation switches between them. Repeat as necessary to reach correct programming for your camera.

Before you do that, make sure you have done this (also in the instructions, but under Camcorder Set Up):

Toggle Data button if necessary to "All Displays ON". This setting ensures White Balance Button functionality.

Also - I can't find the reference for it, sorry! - somewhere I got the requirement to set "Button 1 to WB priority". This is done through the TOOLS menu on the camera. Alas, it's been more than two weeks since I did that and can't find the source.

Anyhow, some things to think about and check.

Maybe this will help?

Tom

Thanks Tom but when I do this the macro stops at the set white balance screen and doesn't proceed any further. I then have to press ENTER to set the white balance then ARROW to X and press ENTER to return.
Unfortunately on alternate attempts it does not return to the main screen so you have to repeat the process to get back to the main screen.
It's actually quicker to just do it via the menus and you only need one hand leaving the other free to position the white card.
I'm begining to think that I may have an icorrectly programmed handle.

#27 SWink

SWink

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

OK - here's one more thing to try. I did this with my XA10; your results may vary :D

Buried under the Cable Routing section of my L&M instructions tome </sarcasm off> is the following note:

Before you do that, make sure you have done this (also in the instructions, but under Camcorder Set Up):

Also - I can't find the reference for it, sorry! - somewhere I got the requirement to set "Button 1 to WB priority". This is done through the TOOLS menu on the camera. Alas, it's been more than two weeks since I did that and can't find the source.

Anyhow, some things to think about and check.

Maybe this will help?

Tom

Thanks for your help Tom - I think I've got worked out now - looks like I was using the wrong program in the handle.
Cheers
Steve

#28 textilet

textilet

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for your help Tom - I think I've got worked out now - looks like I was using the wrong program in the handle.
Cheers
Steve

This also happened to me in the beginning. Out of the box the handle wasn't programmed for the hf-g10; I had to cycle the handle and try the macro till it worked.