• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Will_Clark

Will_Clark

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:27 AM

I'm new to using Inon 240s. When I change the batteries and come to screw the cover back down, the o-rings always seem to want to pop out a bit in a curl. I've already changed 2 in 3 weeks for fear they are getting stretched... does this happen with yours? Any hints?

#2 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:21 AM

Be sure to use the right kind of grease, no silicone grease for silicone o-rings!!! They become soft otherwise.
I replaced them by normal black rubber NBR 70 o-rings with the same measurements and have no problems any more.
Silicone o-rings normally are not used for dynamic applications.

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:38 AM

I use one INON D2000 from 2007 and 2 brand new Z240 strobes and never had this problem.
You may should grease the o-ring SLIGHTLY with the included INON o-ring grease.
You will feel the need of grease when turning the cap get hard, with some grease screwing the cap down
should be a smooth operation with slight torque.

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 16 August 2011 - 06:42 AM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#4 Kilili

Kilili

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

I'm new to using Inon 240s. When I change the batteries and come to screw the cover back down, the o-rings always seem to want to pop out a bit in a curl. I've already changed 2 in 3 weeks for fear they are getting stretched... does this happen with yours? Any hints?

I had same problem, was traced back to not using INON o-ring grease.

I replaced them by normal black rubber NBR 70 o-rings with the same measurements...

where did you find?
Ken
Kilili Studios
ken@kilili.com

Nikon D2x with Subal ND2, and all that other stuff

#5 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

The Inon O-rings do need regular re-greasing, also when screwing cap on do so slowly to reduce friction.
If in between re-greasing a little spit works just as well to.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#6 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

We use S & S blue top grease and lightly grease the ring and also add a few small daubs to the inside of the plastic cap just before screwing down. Be careful not to over grease!
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#7 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:08 PM

I had same problem, was traced back to not using INON o-ring grease.
where did you find?

Find a o-ring dealer in your neighborhood. Normally the stores (in Belgium!) supply also ball bearings, belts, mechanic parts etc....
http://www.eriksusa....cts/o-rings.php

#8 Will_Clark

Will_Clark

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:54 AM

Curious - I had been using the silicon grease that came with my Zen minidome, but moved to the Inon stuff soon after. My workaround is to do it carefully and slowly, constantly checking for bulging.

I don't like it though, it seems insecure and prone for a mistake one day.

Thanks to all repliers.

#9 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

It's not the best system for sure. I also lightly grease the inside of the cap where it meets the o ring. After years of using these strobes, one flooded the battery compartment, and I'm sure it was due to the o ring not properly seated. Good news is, after rinsing with rubbing alcohol and light scrubbing with steel wool, it still works.
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#10 FLAFROG

FLAFROG

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

[quote name='owfotograaf' date='Aug 16 2011, 01:21 PM' post='289313']
Be sure to use the right kind of grease, no silicone grease for silicone o-rings!!! They become soft otherwise.
I replaced them by normal black rubber NBR 70 o-rings with the same measurements and have no problems any more.
Silicone o-rings normally are not used for dynamic applications.

owfotograaf,
Did you happen to get the part number? or correct dimentions?

Thanks

Edited by FLAFROG, 17 August 2011 - 10:45 AM.

#11 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

I have over 600 dives on my Z 240's and I am still using the original yellow o-rings.

I really like the battery compartment sealing system, you can see the o-ring as you tighten down the cap so you know if they are pinched or bound up.

I have not had any problems with my o-rings stretching or leaking (knock on wood). I started using the Inon grease, but got tired of using different greases for all the different o-rings. My red ones used this grease, my blue ones used that grease, my black ones used another silicone grease, etc. So I did a little research and switched to one grease. I use Tribolube 71, which is very similar to Christolube 111, now for all my o-rings and have not had any problems with stretching secondary to absorption of the lube into the o-ring material.

After cleaning my o-rings, I put some Tribolube on a q-tip (cotton wool bud) and run it at around the cap and the o-ring grove leaving a very light coat of lube, lube the o-ring and assemble. I clean and lube the Inon o-rings once before a dive trip and I am good to go for the entire trip. The only time I reclean and lube the o-rings on a trip if I see dirt when I change batteries. I have not had problems with the o-rings getting bound up or trying to extrude.

If your o-rings are swelling, they are absorbing the lube. I have found that especially red and yellow colored o-rings will swell if you don't stick with the manufacture's proprietary lube or use a inert lube like Tribolube.

Edited by eyu, 17 August 2011 - 02:41 PM.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#12 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

After cleaning my o-rings, I put some Tribolube on a q-tip (cotton wool bud) and run it at around the cap and the o-ring grove leaving a very light coat of lube

Rather than cotton buds, I use make up applicators (I sent the girlfriend to buy them). They are foam buds, so no loose fibres to get under o-rings etc. A pack of 10 was something like 2 and they last forever.
Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110

#13 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

Rather than cotton buds, I use make up applicators (I sent the girlfriend to buy them). They are foam buds, so no loose fibres to get under o-rings etc. A pack of 10 was something like 2 and they last forever.

Come on Sean, man up and go get your own makeup applicators. :) Agree they work great for cleaning oring grooves.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#14 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

I agree, but my wife will not buy them for me :)

#15 Will_Clark

Will_Clark

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:13 AM

I believe I have been over-greasing the o-ring because it was so stiff to screw on. Stiff is better than bulge (said the actress to the bishop) Sorry.

#16 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:22 AM

Come on Sean, man up and go get your own makeup applicators. :) Agree they work great for cleaning oring grooves.

Cheers,
Steve

You should have seen the look I got when I asked the pharmacist for a bumper pack of condom catheters and their biggest pot of KY jelly :D

It was for drysuit diving - honest!!
Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110

#17 FLAFROG

FLAFROG

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

You should have seen the look I got when I asked the pharmacist for a bumper pack of condom catheters and their biggest pot of KY jelly :)

It was for drysuit diving - honest!!

Getting a bit OT,
not as strange look as when the navy exchange cashier give us when a group of us would stock up on condom's to be used to protect our fuse lighters used in demolitions exercises or or when the same group bought the XXL panty hose to protect ourselves from leeches while wading in swamps..

#18 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

I believe I have been over-greasing the o-ring because it was so stiff to screw on. Stiff is better than bulge (said the actress to the bishop) Sorry.

Have your o-ring swelled, thus causing a tight fit when screwing on the cap??

#19 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

Screwing on the cap need some force, how stiff stiff is is a personal matter, but in any case, when the o-ring is dry,
to scew on the cap will be really stiff.
I absolutely don't think that the o-rings where overgreased to become stiff to screw on, they may got swollen due the use of
unproper grease for them.
In any case, rembember that o-rings should be slightly greased just enough to become shiny without
any traces of exycess grease. Best way (my personal opinion) is to dip carefully the index finger in the grease pot,
smear a small amount between index finger and thumb and pass the o-ring in between.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#20 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

Yeah...

... put the cap on carefully and make sure that the o-rings are lightly greased with a silicone-compatible grease! It happens to me once in a while, but hasn't damaged the o-rings in four or five years of regular use.

Tim

:)