• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

The Seychelles government has hired a South African Shark Expert/Hunter to catch what they call a "rogue shark" after 2 tourists died in separate shark incidents at Anse Lazio beach.
The first victim, Nicolas Virolle, was snorkeling about 50m from the beach when he was bitten by a shark and died from the excessive blood loss as the wound severed his main artery in his left leg. According to the Shark Attack Monitor blog, the ambulance arrived 40 mins after the call was given and no one around knew how to give basic first aid like using a tourniquet to prevent further blood loss. Also in that blog, self-proclaimed eye witnesses who saw the incident claimed that there were several boats moored in the bay were dumping fish waste into the area, attracting the shark. Apparently, after this incident, the Seychelles authorities did not close the beach or notify the press about the incident. This all changed after a 2nd incident occurred.
The 2nd victim was Ian Richmond, a UK citizen on his honeymoon. He was snorkeling about 30m from the beach when he was bitten in the left leg as well. Mr Richmond died from excessive blood loss as again there was no emergency first aid given.
In reaction to the 2nd attack, and after being criticized for not acting after the first attack, the Seychelles government has now hired a shark expert, according the Police Chief Toussaint "to catch the shark!". This was confirmed by the Seychelles Tourism Board.

I'll take this moment to convey my deepest condolences to Gemma Houghton, wife and loved ones of Ian Richmond and also to the family and loved ones of Nicolas Virolle. I cannot imagine what they must be going through. Still, if the reports are true and the Seychelles authorities are hoping to catch this shark, then I have to object to this plan of action. First of all, the "rogue shark" theory by Victor Coppleson, a surgeon with no marine biology background, has been rejected by shark biologists nowadays.
I understand the need for the Seychelle government to protect their tourism industry. The beaches are integral to tourism in Seychelles and declaring it safe to swim is something that is important. However, the reaction to kill the shark is mistaken as diving is also part of the tourism trade. Moreover, the extenuating circumstances (waste disposal by boats, overfishing etc) are being ignored. Instead of killing it, how about erecting a shark spotting tower for the area, and also remove the boats or at least ban waste dumping in the bay. It's a UNESCO site and everything should be protected, not just what is convenient.

For those who agree with me, please write to the Seychelles government and tourism board to tell them how you feel. I certainly will not consider Seychelles again if they did kill this shark when there are so many other ways to deal with this problem.

http://www.seychelle....php?newsid=56# : you will need to hit CONTACT US to email the tourism board.

Email the President of the Seychelles

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:42 AM

The word has got out. The sharks are striking back... http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-14576722

Edited by John Bantin, 19 August 2011 - 08:42 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#3 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:45 AM

It's just a PR move as usual, if they say they are "hunting the sharks" the tourists will keep coming...

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#4 wizbowes

wizbowes

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

The word has got out. The sharks are striking back... http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-14576722

A Short lived victory at best i fear. I suspect the Russans don't piss about when they declare war on sharks. http://rt.com/news/p...-shark-657-779/

Edited by wizbowes, 30 August 2011 - 02:31 PM.